Import failure, Column limit?

steallan

Hi
I am using the New table: Import table function. Howwever after i go through the wizard/settings bit if fails to import. Is this because there is a limit to the number of columns i can have in a table? Im trying to import a excel sheet with 56 columns. When i reduce the number of columns it does import.
Is there a limit or should i keep looking for some other error?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
You should be able to import up to 256 columns worth of data in excel, so the problem must be caused by something else.

HTH
Calvin

Upvote 0
Well this is strange can anyone tell me why this is the case.
Import would not allow these as column titles
TE003 SUPPLY AIR TEMP SENSOR
TE004 EXTRACT AIR TEMP SENSOR
It renamed them field50 and field 51 but then came back with an error cant import table when i clicked finish.
So i changed them to these:
TE 003 SUPPLY AIR TEMP SENSOR
TE 004 EXTRACT AIR TEMP SENSOR
And it worked fine, whats the problem with TE003 and TE004 that access doesn't like?

Upvote 0
NOOO!
I spoke to soon it still wont import the table. Could anyone please tell me What are common reasons why tables wont import (i get An Error occured when trying to import table etc message when i click finsh)
stupid access

Upvote 0
Access is very tempremental when it comes to imported column headings. I would suggest you either import it without titles, and then manually adjust them, or create a table with headings already, and dump the data without titles to a raw data file, and use a Delete, then an update query to update the table with the headings already set.

HTH
Cal

Upvote 0
Could anyone please tell me What are common reasons why tables wont import

One of the most common errors occurs when the data being imported is inconsistent.

Access looks at the first 20 or so rows of data to determine the data type for the field.

If there are any anomalies, eg text in a column that Access thinks is a number, it can cause problems.

Another problem could be the field names - are there any duplicates, any leading spaces?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back