Import Excel into Access

ewize1

Board Regular
Hi there,

I have an Excel worksheet full of records, and I have an software written usign VB using Access database. However, the DB software was written without prior examination on the fields used in the Excel worksheet. Is it possible to import the information in Excel and use it for the DB software. Actually, the whole idea here is to minimise manual work to port Excel into Access.

Please help!!! :oops:

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Without knowing exactly what you are trying to do with these records (what does the VB do?), it is difficult to say what you can do to minimize work.

However to answer your questions, yes, you can import Excel information into Access. However, something that may be even easier yet is to Link the Excel file to the Access database (in the Table) section. No import is required then.

Upvote 0
Without knowing exactly what you are trying to do with these records (what does the VB do?), it is difficult to say what you can do to minimize work.

Though prior examination of the Excel file was not done, the software was written base on the user's requirements. It was done base on the actual forms they use, so, the fields used should be more or less the same. Their names may be different though. To minimise work, I suppose I can import (to save everything in Access) the records and rename the field names to the ones recognise by the software. Right?

Upvote 0
You could do that, however it may not be necessary. If you rename the fields in Excel to match what they are in Access, you could simply link your Excel table to Access.

It really shouldn't matter which of these methods you use. Sometimes, I find that importing Excel records into Access requires a little "fine tuning" or "finnagling", (more common if you are importing into pre-existing tables). Sometimes Access "rejects" certain records and then you have to figure out why. This is why I suggested linking to Access instead.

Upvote 0
Jmiskey, thank you for your valuable advice. I will try them out on my own to decide on the best method. :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeller10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back