Import Error

JAfflitto

I am trying to import a large (830mb) fixed width text file into an existing Access database. I am clicking on the New Table icon and then select Import Table and click OK. I select the text file and the Import Text Wizard automatically opens. I click the Advanced button, then the Specs button and select the Import/Export Specification that I had previously established. I open this and click OK and the system sets up the field length for each field. I click through the rest of the windows for the Wizard. After I click the Finish button Access appears to be importing the file but then the following error message apppears "Invalid Argument". The next statment says that "there was an error trying to import the file". The data type for all of the fields is set to text. No error table is created. I am using Access 2000. Any idea why I am getting this error and what I can do about it?

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hey JAfflitto

Database management systems like Access, SQl etc. are very iffy about data typeing. If, whilst importing, the system finds that a value is not of the type chosen for the table it will give you the sort of error messages you are seeing. It can also have to do with the headings, so look and see if your headings are selected as field headings.

When you are importing data to an Access table the system must make certain assumptions regarding the type of data that's entering the table. So, the first value may be an Integer, so the system may designate the field as type Integer. Then along comes a value in that field that's not an ineger and the import falls over. With a file of 830mb there is no way you are going to catch that kind of thing.

If the table is now designating all fields as Text, and you have not lost any data (it does happen that Access will ignore fields during certain imports-Excel comes to mind) then just open the Access table in design view and change the data type for the field there. Then if an error pops up, you will know which field(s) are to blame.

Try that

anvil19
:eek:

Upvote 0
Anther concern could be the size of the database, if the Database is much over 1.5 gig then when importing a large file this can cause problems such as you describe, if large try compacting especially if you have had a few goes at importing the table then deleting the table from the database. I have had this invalid arguement error a few times and this has resolved the problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eccymarge

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back