Import data into form

Parra

Can I import data from Excel into the current record I am viewing in a form?

I have a form with 3 sub forms. I will fill out some of the data on the main form but then want the rest of data to be filled into the current record I am viewing.

I was thinking of doing it through a query...but is it possible?

Parra

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Probably - have you tried linking the Excel sheet that contains the data to your database? Then just treat it like a table...

If you need more info, please provide more info on what you're attempting.

-Russell

Upvote 0
Hi Parra,
how many records in the Excel worksheet? I have found that linking Access to one or more Excel ranges can be quite a performance hit. You may find it easier to import the Excel data into Access as a table, especially if the Excel data doesn't change much.
Post back if this is the way you want to go.

Denis

Upvote 0
We'll I would link or import the data into the table. But because some data will go to the main form and then some to one of the sub forms, I dont' think importing the data directly will work.

I was thinking that if the form was open with the sub form, some how the data could be imported into a query or something like that.

Parra

Upvote 0
Whenever you Get Exernal Data you end up with the data in a table -- either a linked table as Russell suggested or an imported one as I mentioned. Either way, you can do what you like with the data once it hits the database. I tend to build one master query that brings together all of the data, and then base further queries on that master for all of the subforms etc.
My other question is still important: will the Excel data change frequently? If so, you'll find it less of a pain to link directly and accept the performance hit (which won't be too bad unless you have more than a thousand or so records). If you only update the spreadsheet weekly or monthly, an import routine is the way to go.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeller10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back