I'm that guy II

ToledoTom

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
I posted this in the incorrect spot about 30 min ago. Because I'm using google sheets, I'm posting my question here. I'm very sorry about that subject ine. I'm a physical therapist that has recently taken an administrative role. I just don't know the spreadsheet "language" to even ask my questions or search for it on internet.

I need a few sheets to interact with each other. I need the "Name" in the range A3-A8 to auto populate in the "staffing" sheet, from A2-A7. I can do that. But, here's where I'm stuck. I need the range on the staffing sheet B2-F2, to stay attached to the Name in A2 on the "staffing sheet".

Here's where it gets even more difficult for me. On the schedule sheet, the names will change spots almost daily. Then eventually those names will be replaced with other names. Yes, the information in the cell range B2-F2, on the staffing sheet changes as well.

Attachments

• Sheet1.jpg
    Sheet1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 21
  • sheet2.jpg
    sheet2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 21

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Well hello that guy,
Welcome to the world of constructing spreadsheets and databases! I'll start by being Captain Obvious: no subtitle row in your table, like you did in the first pic. Teams are obviously separate items which calls for separate table/spreadsheet on its own. So you'll have a separate table for Team A, another one for Team B etc. Those would be your dimension tables: think rolodex.
Then you'll have your fact tables: tables that list facts that happened. Who bought what and for how much, who worked when and for how long... Perhaps in your case you don't have to because you are dealing with just a handful of people, but assigning a numerical ID to each item of the previously mentioned dimension tables is highly recommended when constructing databases. So that you'll know which of the 10 John Smiths in your org worked the Tuesday evening shift 6 weeks ago.
Sift that through and then do just a cursory search for how to reference fields from different sheets by absolute position. It is really not that difficult.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back