IIF Statements and TEXT fields HELP

macdonald007

Hi,

I am using a query to look for data entry errors in a table. What I am doing is using the same table twice, linking the common field on a one for one basis and then simply using an IIF statement to determine if the data entry field equals itself. It works great if the field is numeric or yes/no etc, but if the field is text this isnt working.

My equation is:

IRSDESC1: IIf([AC_TB.IRS_DESC1]<>[AC_TB_1.IRS_DESC1],-1,1)

Any ideas??

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I'm a little confused. If you're linking an exact copy of a table to a table and then comparing the values of a single field to itself, how would you ever get anything other than a precise match?

This common field (your key field). Is it unique or does it show up multiple times in the table?

If the latter (duplicates allowed) you should probably try this.
Use the "Find Duplicates Query Wizard" selectable after hitting the "new' button under the query tab.

Mike

Upvote 0
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

The table in question has the structure:

Each record has items that must be the same on the account level even though we carry the portfolio level detail in the table. However, I also have on each record the base account number (55555555 etc.)....

So, by opening the table twice, setting the account numbers one for one and then comparing the items that must be the same using IIF I can identify the mismatches...this works for numeric and yes/no fields, but does not work for text fields...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deasejm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back