Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
[TABLE="width: 392"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: xl102, width: 392"]Hello,
On the formula below, if there is no corresponding value in AZ3:BM3 it returns a 0 (zero) and I would like it to return a blank cell.

Thanks in advance!

=IFERROR(INDEX('PricingTable'!$AZ$3:$BM$3,MATCH(B87,'PricingTable'!$AZ$4:$BM$4,0)),"")[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl102, width: 392"][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
What are you expecting as a response?

If you expect a text value, you can just add &"" to the end. But it will make numbers into text values too.

If you expect a number, you can try:

=IFERROR(1/(1/INDEX(PricingTable!$AZ$3:$BM$3,MATCH(B87,PricingTable!$AZ$4:$BM$4,0))),"")

but that will not work for text values, and it will change an actual 0 to an empty cell.

If it could be either numeric or text, or you want an actual 0 to appear, then you may have to resort to this:

=IFERROR(IF(INDEX(PricingTable!$AZ$3:$BM$3,MATCH(B87,PricingTable!$AZ$4:$BM$4,0))="","",INDEX(PricingTable!$AZ$3:$BM$3,MATCH(B87,PricingTable!$AZ$4:$BM$4,0))),"")

Upvote 0
Eric W,

The &"" worked great. For my own learning, what is it telling it to do?

Quesion: On my original formula, shouldn't the IFERROR function with the "" at the end return a blank if the value of the cell it should return is blank?

=IFERROR(INDEX('PricingTable'!$AZ$3:$BM$3,MATCH(B87,'PricingTable'!$AZ$4:$BM$4,0)),"")

Upvote 0
Well, the value returned isn't an error, it's a blank. I figured the IFERROR was there in case the B87 cell didn't match anything, that would create an error. The problem with the "" turning to a 0 is just a quirk of Excel, that turns a "" into a 0. I don't know why that happens, but the 3 formulas I showed you are the usual ways around that.

The & is the concatenation operator, so it's just saying "concatenate a null to the end of the formula." This tells Excel that the entire result is a text value, so it doesn't do the "" to 0 conversion.

Upvote 0
As Always Eric - thanks for the answer and insight!

Bob

Upvote 0
Eric - per your thought, maybe I don't need the IFERROR fucntion?

Basically the logic is if B87 is found in AZ4:BM4 then return corresponding value from AZ3:BM3, if the value is blank, then return blank. Could I alter to take out the IFERROR and still get a blank return?

=IFERROR(INDEX('PricingTable'!$AZ$3:$BM$3,MATCH(B87,'PricingTable'!$AZ$4:$BM$4,0)),"")

Upvote 0
If you KNOW that B87 will match something in AZ4:BM4, then you can remove the IFERROR. Maybe B87 is populated by a drop-down list generated from AZ4:BM4. But if there's a chance that B87 won't match, you may want to keep the IFERROR.

Glad to help!

Upvote 0
Eric - what if it does match, but the corresponding value in AZ3:BM3 is a blank cell. I would want the return value to be a blank cell. Still leave in the IFERROR?

Upvote 0
If you might find a blank cell, leave in the &"".

If the B87 might not find a match in AZ4:BM4, leave in the IFERROR. (Or you could leave it in anyway, it doesn't hurt anything.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HMF009

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back