If there was no more Excel.........

Lewiy

What would happen if:

a) Microsoft went bust or
b) Microsoft decided not to produce any more versions of Excel

(both unlikely possibilities in the short to medium term I admit)

Would the world move to a new (possibly inferior) spreadsheet platform, or continue to use out dated versions of Excel for ever more, or?????

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Pretty sure Google would carpe diem to fill the void on that one ;-)

Well under scenario 2, I, for one, would go back to Quattro Pro. Under scenario 1, then I guess Windows is dead too, so I'd have to go to a Mac. Since Excel was actually originally a Mac app, would one be able to go way back to Excel 1.0?

I'd be buyin' stock in The Big Green Ledger Sheet & Eraser Co.

You know, I actually used them, first few years on the job, a few times. Gawd, talk about a cruel way to learn 'bout the ripple effect of upper-left errors ...

I'd be buyin' stock in The Big Green Ledger Sheet & Eraser Co.

You know, I actually used them, first few years on the job, a few times. Gawd, talk about a cruel way to learn 'bout the ripple effect of upper-left errors ...
No offense buddy, but I sure am glad that was you and not me! :)

AAAAGGGGGGHHHHH!!!
Is it Halloween???? Why are you trying to scare us?

:-)

Well, it's just I heard recently that Excel was to be no more and Microsoft was having cash flow probl............, no, wait, it was all just a bad dream.

But the future is never certain, so perhaps we should all prepare for hibernation, just in case...........

I'm with Erik.

Seriously, though...If Microsoft couldn't fulfill the public's demand for software solutions, some other forward-thinking company or individual would certainly fill the need. Obviously there is a need or we wouldn't all be at MrExcel.com.

In theory I agree, but presumably there are many, many features of Excel which are subject to copyright/patents. If you've ever used OpenOffice for example, whilst for a light/average user it's much the same as Excel, as soon as you want to do anything more complex, you have to learn it a whole different way (comma's become semi-colons in formulas and the conditional formatting is almost alien) and as for VBA??? How on earth would we cope?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ckaplan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back