Actual Actual Wanted Wanted
Variance Estimate Permanent Temporary
a1 -800 -1000 -800 0
b1 800 1000 800 0
c1 800 -1000 0 800
d1 -800 1000 0 -800

Positive = overage
Negative = savings

I am trying to come up with a formula that takes Actual Varience against the actual estimated and tells me what portion of the actual variance is permanent or temporary

ie. (b1) we estimated we would go over budget $1000 and so far we have gone over budget $800, so i can assume the $800 is a permanent overage as it is less than the annual estimate but on the right track (result I want is $800 permanent, $0 temporary)

Formula I am using =IF( A2 < B2 , A2 ) and only works when number are positive (A1 returning false)

Also, I have a problem when the current variance is in the opposite direction of the estimate.

ie. (D1) we estimated we would go over budget by $1000 but currently we have a savings of $800, so I want to formula to show me the current savings as temporary and the permanent column as 0, since although we have a savings today, by year end that number will be an overage

I have tried using an absolute ref =if(abs..... around the numbers, but that throws off some of the other scenarios

I'll pulling my hair out here, any ideas? Maybe there are other functions I should use???? Any help i will take

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
If the actual variance is in C and the estimate is in D starting with row 9, then in E9 the permanent value will be =IF(SIGN(C9)=SIGN(D9),SIGN(C9)*MIN(ABS(C9),ABS(D9)),0)
and the temporary value in F9 will be =IF(E9=0,C9,SIGN(C9)*MAX(0,ABS(C9)-ABS(D9)))

Actual Actual Wanted Wanted
Variance Estimate Permanent Temporary
a1 -800 -1000 -800 0
b1 800 1000 800 0
c1 800 -1000 0 800
d1 -800 1000 0 -800

Positive = overage
Negative = savings

I am trying to come up with a formula that takes Actual Varience against the actual estimated and tells me what portion of the actual variance is permanent or temporary

ie. (b1) we estimated we would go over budget $1000 and so far we have gone over budget $800, so i can assume the $800 is a permanent overage as it is less than the annual estimate but on the right track (result I want is $800 permanent, $0 temporary)

Formula I am using =IF( A2 < B2 , A2 ) and only works when number are positive (A1 returning false)

Also, I have a problem when the current variance is in the opposite direction of the estimate.

ie. (D1) we estimated we would go over budget by $1000 but currently we have a savings of $800, so I want to formula to show me the current savings as temporary and the permanent column as 0, since although we have a savings today, by year end that number will be an overage

I have tried using an absolute ref =if(abs..... around the numbers, but that throws off some of the other scenarios

I'll pulling my hair out here, any ideas? Maybe there are other functions I should use???? Any help i will take

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekerinik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back