IF column is blank, show text, otherwise skip; multiple columns in on formula

RobotsAteMyArms

The title of this post is confusing as heck, so I apologize for that in advance! I know there's a way to do what I'm looking for (there's always a way), but I'm having a hard time with it this morning. I'm hoping you guys can help!

I'm looking to create a formula that will show, in the cell I enter the formula, the name of the deliverable(s) pending if the deliverable(s) do not have a received date. I can set it up to show me one at a time, but I want A2 to show me all four.

Here's what I mean: In the example below, I would want it to show "Deliverable 3" in A2, because that location is missing that deliverable. In A3, I want it to show "Deliverable 2; Deliverable 4", etc. I need it to skip over blanks and add ";"," " between text.

Q3Zhpu.jpg

Where I'm getting hung up is having it check and return text, or nothing (for dated cells), on multiple. Doing them one at a time and then adding a =concatenate formula is a pain...

Right now I'm using, =IF(ISBLANK(C2),"Deliverable 1"," ") which doesn't work because I have to do it for each deliverable column separately and then because it's showing a space, instead of no value.

I have multiple deliverables that I want to report on for 700+ projects/locations, so to manually be sorting through and reading dates is just not an option.

What do you think? Is there a way to make it all one string?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Actually, here's the actual example of what I'm using:

In Column A =IF(ISBLANK(U2),"BP","")

In Column B =IF(ISBLANK(W2),"CD","")

In Column C =IF(ISBLANK(AA2),"GC","")

In Column D =IF(ISBLANK(AD2),"SISD","")

In Column E =CONCATENATE(A2,";"," "B2,";"," "C2,";"," "D2)

That's what I'm doing now. Anyone have ideas on how to simplify it? Or make it less messy?

Because as of now, it takes a lot of steps and it also will show "; ; GC; " if that's the only deliverable pending. I can always run a couple 'find and replace's to clean those up, but that adds to the process.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey, I'm Brazilian so sorry if I say anything that doesn't make sense or is wrong.

Do you really need this as a formula or can we do this in VBA?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back