Ideas for a strange query in Access...

nowanda

Board Regular
Hello!

I have a funny concatenation problem...
My data is spread out as follows : Each person is asked 3 questions. I need to figure out the number of people who answered yes to the different questions. If they said Yes to more than one question then they need to be grouped (concatenated) and summarized...
# = person
A, B, or C are the types of questions
Y or N are the only possible answers

# Question Answer
1 A Y
1 B Y
3 C N
2 A N
2 B Y
2 C Y
3 A Y
3 B N
3 C N
4 A Y
4 B Y
4 C N
5 A Y
5 B Y
5 C Y

This is what I'm looking for:
Category Y
A 1
A + B 2
B + C 1
A + B + C 1

For example - person 1 and 4 both answered Y to questions A and B.

So somehow I'm concatenating the questions together where the answer is Y and I'm counting the number of Y's as well..

Nothing is impossible!! But how can I do this??

Nowanda:)

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
This is what I'm looking for:
Category Y
A 1
A + B 2
B + C 1
A + B + C 1

For example - person 1 and 4 both answered Y to questions A and B.

Sorry, I'm not following? How does the above show that person 1 and 4 both answered Y to questions A and B? And didn't person 5 also answer yes to both questions? Could you give a more specific example as to what you'd like to see?

Thank you,

Russell

Upvote 0
Sorry about that!

It certainly didn't come out as I intended.. Check this out and see if it makes any more sense...

The Person designates the same person - i.e. person 1 = Susan, Person 2 = Richard... etc.

The Question is one of three questions asked i.e.
A = Do you have an account with us
B = Do you have more than 10,000$ in investments
C = Do you have a mortgage

The answers are limited to Y or N.

I'd like to see all the people who :

A - Only Have an account
B - Only Have > 10 G invested
C - Only Have a mortgage
A+B - Have an account and have > 10G in inv
B+C - Have > 10 G and Have a mortgage
A+C - Have an account and Have a mortgage
A+B+C - Have all three
Book1
ABCDEF
1ThisiswhatIhave:
2PersonQuestionAnswer
31AY
41BYThisiswhatI'mlookingfor:
51CNQuestion#ofYAnswers
62ANA1
72BYA,B2
82CYB,C1
93AYA,B,C1
103BN
113CN
124AY
134BY
144CN
155AY
165BY
175CY
Sheet1

I've tried a few crosstabs - and I'm working on a script to try to compare some values.. I hope this clears things up a bit...

Nowanda:)

Upvote 0
Ok, how about this:

1) Create a crosstab query -

Row Heading: Person
Col Heading: Question
Value: Answer (you can use First, Last, Min or Max - no difference).

Save the query.

2) Make a new query based on this query -

In the first field, put this in for the field:

Answers: [A] & & [C]

in the second field, put Person.

Then hit the "Totals" button (for a group by query). Group by the first field, and Count the second field.

You come up with something like this:<table BORDER="1" BGCOLOR="#ffffff" CELLSPACING="0"><font FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000000"><caption> </caption></font><thead><tr><th BGCOLOR="#c0c0c0" BORDERCOLOR="#000000"><font SIZE="2" FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000000">Answer</font></th><th BGCOLOR="#c0c0c0" BORDERCOLOR="#000000"><font SIZE="2" FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000000">CountOfPerson</font></th></tr></thead><tbody><tr VALIGN="TOP"><td BORDERCOLOR="#c0c0c0"><font SIZE="2" FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000000">NYY</font></td><td BORDERCOLOR="#c0c0c0" ALIGN="RIGHT"><font SIZE="2" FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000000">1</font></td></tr><tr VALIGN="TOP"><td BORDERCOLOR="#c0c0c0"><font SIZE="2" FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000000">YNN</font></td><td BORDERCOLOR="#c0c0c0" ALIGN="RIGHT"><font SIZE="2" FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000000">1</font></td></tr><tr VALIGN="TOP"><td BORDERCOLOR="#c0c0c0"><font SIZE="2" FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000000">YYN</font></td><td BORDERCOLOR="#c0c0c0" ALIGN="RIGHT"><font SIZE="2" FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000000">2</font></td></tr><tr VALIGN="TOP"><td BORDERCOLOR="#c0c0c0"><font SIZE="2" FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000000">YYY</font></td><td BORDERCOLOR="#c0c0c0" ALIGN="RIGHT"><font SIZE="2" FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000000">1</font></td></tr></tbody><tfoot></tfoot></table>
It doesn't look exactly like you want it to, but you can get the information from it. You could make another table something like this:<table width="188" border="1"><col width=64 style='width:48pt'><col width=74 style='mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2706;width:56pt'><tr height=17 style='height:12.75pt'><td height=17 class=xl24 width=64 style='height: 12.75pt'>YNN</td><td class=xl24 width=111 style='border-left-style: none; border-left-width: medium'>A</td></tr><tr height=17 style='height:12.75pt'><td height=17 class=xl24 style='height: 12.75pt; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="64">NYN</td><td class=xl24 style='border-left-style: none; border-left-width: medium; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="111">B</td></tr><tr height=17 style='height:12.75pt'><td height=17 class=xl24 style='height: 12.75pt; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="64">NNY</td><td class=xl24 style='border-left-style: none; border-left-width: medium; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="111">C</td></tr><tr height=17 style='height:12.75pt'><td height=17 class=xl24 style='height: 12.75pt; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="64">YYN</td><td class=xl24 style='border-left-style: none; border-left-width: medium; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="111">AB</td></tr><tr height=17 style='height:12.75pt'><td height=17 class=xl24 style='height: 12.75pt; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="64">YNY</td><td class=xl24 style='border-left-style: none; border-left-width: medium; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="111">AC</td></tr><tr height=17 style='height:12.75pt'><td height=17 class=xl24 style='height: 12.75pt; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="64">NYY</td><td class=xl24 style='border-left-style: none; border-left-width: medium; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="111">BC</td></tr><tr height=17 style='height:12.75pt'><td height=17 class=xl24 style='height: 12.75pt; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="64">YYY</td><td class=xl24 style='border-left-style: none; border-left-width: medium; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="111">ABC</td></tr><tr height=17 style='height:12.75pt'><td height=17 class=xl24 style='height: 12.75pt; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="64">NNN</td><td class=xl24 style='border-left-style: none; border-left-width: medium; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: medium' width="111">NO TO ALL</td></tr></table>

To make it how you like it (so YNN would be someone who answered yes to question A and no to questions B and C).

Hope this helps!

Russell
This message was edited by Russell Hauf on 2002-12-06 17:56
This message was edited by Russell Hauf on 2002-12-06 17:57

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xmrwnx89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back