I still get e-mails with option turned off

NBVC

I was wondering why I get e-mail alerts of postings that I am watching. What if I don't want them? I will view my watched posts through the forum.

Adding to favorites and "watching" topics are two different functions--you cannot view a list of the "watched" topics on the forum, while you have a list of "Favorites."

Whenever you get the emails, I believe there should be an option to "stop watching this topic." Have you used that? It is possible there are probably more watched topics than you're aware of (which can happen since there are no lists), and you keep getting the emails even though you think you've turned off all of them?

I have both a list of favourites and a list of watched topics. That's fine.

But, I want to be able to continue watching my topics through the forum only by selecting "View my posts" or "View my watched posts" and not receive e-mail notifications. Is that not possible? If not, can it be considered for future upgrades?

NBVC said:
I want to be able to continue watching my topics through the forum only by selecting "View my posts" or "View my watched posts" and not receive e-mail notifications. Is that not possible? If not, can it be considered for future upgrades?

That's pretty much a "no" on both of those questions, unfortunately.

Basically, your only options are "View my posts" to see a list of every thread you have posted to, or add threads to Favorites and then use the "Favorites" link at the top of the page to view a list of threads you have added to that.

With watched posts, there is no way to view a list of what threads you are watching. The only way to know what threads you are watching is (a) when you get an email notifying you of a reply to the thread or (b) when you are looking at a thread, checking the link at the bottom of the page to see if it says "watch this topic for replies" or "Stop watching this topic."

And the only way you're going to be able to stop those emails are by using the "Stop watching this topic" link on the page or follow the instructions in the email (I haven't seen one of those in a while, so I can't remember what it says, exactly). The only thing is, you'll have to do that for every separate thread you may be watching.

There is nothing like "view my watched posts." I don't believe these php boards have ever had anything like that. Even if it were possible to have one by using a mod (to my knowledge) there are no plans to make any more changes to the board--unless something completely breaks and needs to be worked on, of course. But adding more mods would probably slow down the board and cause more problems than we already have as it is.

That's about all I have, sorry. :confused:

Thanks Kristy.

I will let this one die as it stands then.

I just wanted to point out though (maybe I am just not picking something up) but regarding your quote as follows,

There is nothing like "view my watched posts." I don't believe these php boards have ever had anything like that.

The actually link is "view your watched posts" and it exists at the top of the opening page just after you log on. Once you go into a specific forum it disappears. But, It allows you to view posts of others that you have not contributed to and are only interested in seeing the results of.

NBVC said:
There is nothing like "view my watched posts." I don't believe these php boards have ever had anything like that.

The actually link is "view your watched posts" and it exists at the top of the opening page just after you log on. Once you go into a specific forum it disappears. But, It allows you to view posts of others that you have not contributed to and are only interested in seeing the results of.

Ah, there we go, then. I've never had much use for the 'watched posts' thing myself, so didn't really know about that. :)

But yeah, there's no way to 'turn off' emails like that. You'd still have to do it one by one. :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michellehoddinott

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back