I need help

MOMAN

I have created a form for non-Access users to enter new records for an MSDS book index with about 4500 records. The list is alphabetized. the problem is I need to keep the items alphabetized without having to move the existing MSDS sheet in the physical books. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I need each new record to be automatically alphabetized and the page number -the primary key- automatically assigned to the record using a decimal, between the whole numbers already assigned in the index, so as to shoe horn in the new entries to their appropriate alphabetic place within the table.<o:p></o:p>
e.g. add WD-40<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Page Product<o:p></o:p>
4105 Washing liquid<o:p></o:p>
4106 Windex<o:p></o:p>
The result would look like this: <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Page Product<o:p></o:p>
4105 Washing Liquid<o:p></o:p>
4105.1 WD-40<o:p></o:p>
4106 Windex<o:p></o:p>
Help!?!<o:p></o:p>
:confused:

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
If you already have an Autonumber ID, leave it as is.
The form could be based on a query instead of the table, where you sort the data on Product Name. There's no particular reason why the ID should be meaningful to you. Its job is to uniquely identify the record.

Denis

Denis

Upvote 0
The page numbers themselves are unique and seem a logical primary key for this table, so I did not use auto number function as the primary key. The index is sorted in the table already. I do not want warehouseman sorting my data! My problem is the warehousemen are not Access competent. Go figure! So, I need to protect the data from their ignorance. They will view the list from a report and add records to the base via a locked down form allowing no editing of existing records. They can't see (edit = NO) existing records from the form. I’m using 2007, so locking the query down is problematic in and of itself isn’t it?
The books in this library have to be indexed, so the pages of the MSDSs need to be numbered somehow. This page numbering system resolves the problem of having to move every MSDS sheet in place behind the point of a new addition in the physical book to the next protector in line. Needless to say, with 4500 records changing page 4 to 5 and 5 to 6 and 6 to 7… out to 4501 is too labor intensive. Therefore, I will keep the MSDSs in document protectors that have been numbered and once in place they are static and neither the MSDS nor its document protector will change positions within the index or the books, ever. Who wants to move the MSDS sheets from one protector to the other every time we add an MSDS sheet to the library or, alternatively, reprint every MSDS with a new page number and replace them in the books back from the point of the addition?
Now, I want the entries they make via this form, sorted alphabetically and to somehow return the corresponding index page number to the warehouseman, who will label the document protector, put MSDS in it and place the document protector in corresponding book in the library.
I think they may just have to alphabetize the MSDS themselves by the looking at the report or the existing index and enter the index number via the form as they add the pertinent data to the base or hire a smarter manager. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back