I have no idea even how to ask this! LOL

chad312

I use an excel template that I designed for estimating. In the template, I "Save As" each time with a new client or estimate that I do, to create a unique Excel Workbook. What I want to do, is figure out how to get the value in a certain cell (total of the estimate), to go to another Excel file (Summary Workbook) that calculates and updates each time I do a new estimate, and keeps a running total of everything I propose.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Welcome to the Board!

This is totally doable. What I've done in the past with something like this is to use a template concept, but also have a living document.

For example you can create your Estimate template & Summary sheet, then use VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) to transfer a completed estimate's data to the summary sheet, print it out & create a stand alone workbook, then clear the template and be ready to start again. That's actually the relatively easy part (and we can help you with it).

The hard part is making sure that your estimate template design is exactly what you want before you start writing code for it. As a beginner, you'll probably be explicitly referring to cells (i.e. Customer Name = A1) and if you decide to move it at some point in time you'll wonder why your code failed.

If you'll detail what ranges from the Estimate sheet you want to go to the Summary sheet someone can whip up the code for you.

Hope that helps,

If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you an Updating Invoice example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back