How to

eazyyexcel

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there,

I have attached the excel file. I would like cell column D to display the total and plus and minus from column C. For example if column D balance is 40,000 And in column C is keyed in +10,000 then the balance will be 50,000 but if we key in -10,000 then the total will become 30,000. The formulas will be keyed in for column D.

Thank you
IMG_4184-min.jpeg

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
eazy This should be the solution to your problem. If there is something I am missing let us know.

Book1
ABCDE
1MOM PAYMENT
2DateDescriptionAmountTotal BalanceRemarks
39/3/2024mom paid cash40,00040,000
4-10,00030,000
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D4:D6D4=IF(C4="","",D3+C4)

Upvote 0
Thank you for the quick response! The formula is working great but the balance is not showing until I key in the value at cell C4. I prefer to see the value instead of it being empty until I key in the data. I have attached the screenshot. Please help. Thank you

Attachments

• excel.jpg
    excel.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0
Ok eazy the formula is working. This is a good start. This tells us that the math formula is giving you the amount you are expecting. Now we have to address your next problem or concern. You have attached a screenshot that doesn't really help me understand your problem or concern. And your written description of the problem, is kind of confusing to me. This is not that unusual as most of the time I am always confused. So let me brack down the words. Let me start from but the balance is not showing until I key in the value at cell C4. Now the formula is working the way you are describing. I put in that IF statement so cell C4 would be blank until you inputted a number. Actually most of column C will be blank until you enter a number in a cell in column C. So the next sentence " I prefer to see the value instead of it being empty until I key in the data" , I guess is the confusing part for me. I am assuming when you say value you are referring to column C. Ok so let's drill into this problem by having you add more words to this sentence.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the quick response! The formula is working great but the balance is not showing until I key in the value at cell C4. I prefer to see the value instead of it being empty until I key in the data. I have attached the screenshot. Please help. Thank you
Assuming you want to keep showing the running total, you can just remove the IF function and copy the formula down.

Also you can just sum column C by anchoring (using a $ sign) to the first row.

Book1
ABCDE
1MOM PAYMENT
33/09/2024mom paid cash4000040000
4-1000030000
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D3:D11D3=SUM(C$3:C3)

Upvote 0
Solution
Assuming you want to keep showing the running total, you can just remove the IF function and copy the formula down.

Also you can just sum column C by anchoring (using a $ sign) to the first row.

Book1
ABCDE
1MOM PAYMENT
33/09/2024mom paid cash4000040000
4-1000030000
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D3:D11D3=SUM(C$3:C3)
Yes this works! Thank you. I wanted the running total to be displayed continuously.

Upvote 0
Ok eazy the formula is working. This is a good start. This tells us that the math formula is giving you the amount you are expecting. Now we have to address your next problem or concern. You have attached a screenshot that doesn't really help me understand your problem or concern. And your written description of the problem, is kind of confusing to me. This is not that unusual as most of the time I am always confused. So let me brack down the words. Let me start from but the balance is not showing until I key in the value at cell C4. Now the formula is working the way you are describing. I put in that IF statement so cell C4 would be blank until you inputted a number. Actually most of column C will be blank until you enter a number in a cell in column C. So the next sentence " I prefer to see the value instead of it being empty until I key in the data" , I guess is the confusing part for me. I am assuming when you say value you are referring to column C. Ok so let's drill into this problem by having you add more words to this sentence.
I'm sorry I confused you Ez. I guess my explanation wasn't clear but thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
I have another question. I have this excel file saved in my onedrive folder therefore at times I open the file from my onedrive app on my mobile device but at times I open the file from my laptop onedrive folder.

Why is it when I key in the date from my mobile device, I write it as 3/9/24 and I'm following the format of dd/mm/yy but when I view the same file on laptop, the date changes to 9/3/24. How do I make the date consistent no matter if I view the excel file on my mobile device or my laptop? thank you

Upvote 0
Do you have the OneDrive folder synced to your laptop so that you open it from windows explorer, or is it opening in a browser window as a webpage?

Upvote 0
Yes the onedrive folder is synced to my laptop. It is like a local file. I don't have my laptop with me right now so I can't send a screenshot. I do not use the onedrive on windows Browser webpage because I feel it works more smoothly and user friendly when the onedrive is synced directly to my local drive. Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nithchun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back