How to write a Similarity Query In Access Comparing Two Text Tables

Galapagos15

Board Regular
I have two tables which contain group ids and company names. These two tables were pulled from different sources so I need to determine whether or not the company names in each source were populated correctly. Table 1 could list group ID# 540 as ABC Company and Table 2 could list group ID# 540 as ABC Co. How can I write a query in Access which determines the percentage of similarity between the two company names. I have done this in Excel as a Fuzzy Lookup but need to find a way to do this in Access as well. Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Well, you could do an Unmatched Query between the two tables, and return all the records to do not have an exact match.

Otherwise, you many want to take a look at this, regarding Fuzzy Matches in Access: Microsoft Access tips: Fuzzy matches - Soundex

Upvote 0
Thank you for your assistance. I had tried Soundex but it won't show matches if the first name is switched such as Tom Smith and Smith Tom. I also tried the Levenshtein Distance Function but that doesn't work well for scenerios such as: William S Devine and W Steve Devine. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Yes, there are so many variations and different situations, it may not be realistic to find a "fuzzy match" solution that is going satisfy all your needs.
Unfortunately, one can only do so much with "bad" or "inconsistent" data.

It is the programmers lament! I have dealt with situations like this before. Really, the best thing to do is a data clean-up to get all the data where it should be, and then have some standards going forward. But the clean-up can be a slow, tedious process. I feel your pain!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmcquade91

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back