How to use a PQ on subsequent downloads

SimonHughes

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Getting to grips with Power Query but I need some help as I am really not sure how I retrieve a query to use on subsequent worksheets. I download a raw CSV worksheet, transform it with Power Query to the finished worksheet and select Close & Load and after some formatting, save it as an Excel file in the appropriate folder.

I will then download another CSV for a different client that requires the same process as above (so I am not overwriting or adding to the first file) but how do I use the PQ protocol that I have used above?

This is basic stuff I know but I have not found the answer in the PQ tutorial videos that I have found. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Open the original query. Go to Home-->Advanced Editor-->copy the Mcode you created. Go to the new CSV. Load your new table to the PQ editor. Go to Home-->Advanced Editor. Replace the Mcode with the code you copied from the original. Change the Table name if necessary in the new Mcode.

Upvote 0
Solution
Open the original query. Go to Home-->Advanced Editor-->copy the Mcode you created. Go to the new CSV. Load your new table to the PQ editor. Go to Home-->Advanced Editor. Replace the Mcode with the code you copied from the original. Change the Table name if necessary in the new Mcode.
Hi Alan, yep, that works a treat. So I just need to store that code somewhere safe (say in a text file) so that I can repeatedly apply in the worksheets that need the same formatting. Excellent, thanks.

Upvote 0
Personally I would set the query up with a parameter for the file name (from a named cell in a worksheet) then save that as a template, so you can reuse it.

Upvote 0
Ah well, not so simple. I have just r
Personally I would set the query up with a parameter for the file name (from a named cell in a worksheet) then save that as a template, so you can reuse it.
Hi Rory, sorry, but I do not know what you mean by your suggestion. Can you expand please? I do all the formatting in PQ and then save how exactly? And apologies if this is basic stuff.
epeated this and get the Error Message
1724059305982.png

Upvote 0
That error message means that your query refers to a column that is not in your source data.

What I mean is that you set up a workbook the way you want it, but make the file path part of your query be pulled from a cell on a worksheet (see for example here). Then save that workbook as a template.
Then all you need to do for a new data source is create a new workbook based on the template, update the file path cell and then refresh the query.

Upvote 0
That error message means that your query refers to a column that is not in your source data.

What I mean is that you set up a workbook the way you want it, but make the file path part of your query be pulled from a cell on a worksheet (see for example here). Then save that workbook as a template.
Then all you need to do for a new data source is create a new workbook based on the template, update the file path cell and then refresh the query.
Rory, I have worked out how to achieve what I want to do - by using Select from File >From Folder and then the Combine and Transform dropdown one can chose whether to append multiple files or select a single file for transformation. Very easy, I am sure that you will be familiar with this process and maybe my explanation of what I wanted to achieve was not as coherent as it could have been. But thanks for your help, appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back