How to split a full name in 1 column into 2 columns (C1 - First name, C2 - Last name (*but here's the tricky - what if there's a middle initial?

Mavericx

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone!

So like the title says, I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to have a macro that can take a full name from one column and split it up into 2 columns, but IF there is a middle initial, just add it to the "first name" Column (or just deleting it would be fine as well). (example below)

I know if I didn't have to take into account a potential middle initial, a simple "text to columns" w/a Space delimiter would get the job done....but don't see how to do it that way without creating extra columns. :( (*I realize suffixes could definitely be an issue as well)

Any thoughts are very much appreciated!!

Full NameFirst NameLast Name
Joey DockettJoeyDockett
Anne K. FranklinAnne K.Franklin

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
This often is an exercise in futility, as people can also have multiple word first names (like "Mary Beth Smith"), and multiple word last names (like "Martin Van Buren").
This makes it virtually impossible to come with up with some sort of "rule" you can program that will always work correctly.

Typically, the best you can do is to come up with a formula that might work 95% of the time (give or take), but that would then still require you to view all results and make corrections where necessary.

Upvote 0
For the given sample, you can use the below :
Book2
ABC
1Full NameFirst NameLast Name
2Joey DockettJoeyDockett
3Anne K. FranklinAnne K.Franklin
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B3B2=LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-LEN(C2)-1)
C2:C3C2=TAKE(TEXTSPLIT(A2," "),,-1)

Upvote 0
Try:
VBA Code:
Sub SplitName()
    Dim txt As Variant, c As Range
    For Each c In Range("A2", Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp))
       txt = Split(c.Value, " ")
       If UBound(txt) = 1 Then
            c.Offset(, 1) = txt(0)
            c.Offset(, 2) = txt(1)
        Else
            c.Offset(, 1) = txt(0) & " " & txt(1)
            c.Offset(, 2) = txt(2)
       End If
    Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
This often is an exercise in futility, as people can also have multiple word first names (like "Mary Beth Smith"), and multiple word last names (like "Martin Van Buren").
This makes it virtually impossible to come with up with some sort of "rule" you can program that will always work correctly.

Typically, the best you can do is to come up with a formula that might work 95% of the time (give or take), but that would then still require you to view all results and make corrections where necessary.
I hear ya Joe - as I was sitting thinking about it, I realized that it was not going to be an easy thing to tackle....if at all. Well above my (very limited) knowledge base for sure! Thx for the input. :-)

Upvote 0
Try:
VBA Code:
Sub SplitName()
    Dim txt As Variant, c As Range
    For Each c In Range("A2", Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp))
       txt = Split(c.Value, " ")
       If UBound(txt) = 1 Then
            c.Offset(, 1) = txt(0)
            c.Offset(, 2) = txt(1)
        Else
            c.Offset(, 1) = txt(0) & " " & txt(1)
            c.Offset(, 2) = txt(2)
       End If
    Next
End Sub
Hi Mumps (love the user name btw!) - I really appreciate you taking the time to help! I will definitely give this a try as well when I get some time later. Thx again!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowie27

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back