How to run loop append query ?

mystic2k

First let me say I'm an absolute beginner with Access, but I know my way in Excel and have some basic knowledge of VBA.

So I have this query, selecting data from a linked ODBC table.

What it does is group by 3 fields (date, product, department), and sum a 4th field (sales), with filters (as specific as possible) on each of the 3 first fields. My objective is to get the total of daily sales for 1 given product and department, over the last 5 years.

Problem: the table is absolutely enormous (I estimate over 100 million records), and running the query for 1 day of data will take 5-10 minutes, and running it for several days will most likely timeout (I've already increased the ODBC timeout to 3000 seconds).

Since I can't simply run the query for all days at once (or even for 1 week at a time for that matter), I thought maybe I can make it an APPEND query and loop it using VBA, so it will run for 1 day at a time and keep adding the output to a table. It will take days to gether the data but that's not a major issue. However I really don't know how to do that.

Questions :

- How do I program this in VBA? Ideally I'd like something that can handle basic errors (the occasional timeout) so I can let it run overnight.

- What's the best way to manage the dates ? Not all days have data, so would it be useful to build a list of days which do have data for the VBA code to loop through ?

- How do I ensure I can stop the query, and have it restart where I left it ?

- Any suggestions on alternative ways to achieve my desired outcome are welcome! I can get assistance from developpers if needed, but would prefer handling it myself.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Laurent

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Laurent

I don't see how an Append query would help, in fact I think it might actually cause problems.

Do you really have that many records? If you do I would suggest you look for another application than Access - it has it's limitations just as Excel has.:)

Upvote 0
Laurent - clarifying question -
selecting data from a linked ODBC table
- is the table containing a million records a base Access table? That is, it is not a linked Oracle or SQL Server table?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies!
So here's some additional information :

- The table is a SQL Server table, and yes it does have that many records for sure.
- Using another application is probably not going to be an option here - it's a one-time effort. Unless there are some open source solutions?

I thought about an append query because I realized could only query for 1 day at a time - so I thought an append query could be run over and over for 1 day at a time, and keep adding the results to an output table.

As you can tell I'm new to this stuff, and mostly learning by doing. I will try now with a pass-through query and see how that works out! Any other suggestions are very much welcome.

Laurent

Upvote 0
Laurent

Why don't you use SQL Server?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Assy Bissy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back