how to remove an apparently locked image from a worksheet?

jan001

Board Regular
I was told to modify an existing workbook, created about three years ago, for a different use. The modification included removing our logo from its bottom left corner of each page (to make room for other content). When I hovered over the image to right-click on it, the cursor changed to a circle-and-slash "no" symbol and it wouldn't let me do anything to it.

The file is not protected, no password required. I found that the cells the logo is floating over were locked, so I unlocked them. Still no go on the logo.

I tried F5/GoTo > Special > Objects, thinking I could tell it to remove all objects (that was the only one on the worksheet anyway), but when I opened Special, "Objects" was grayed out and unavailable.

I was able to move the logo up and down by adding or deleting rows, and I was able to make a second logo appear by adding a column (which I then couldn't undo and had to close without saving and reopen - blargh).

I Googled unlock embedded image excel 2010 and variations on that theme but didn't find the answer. There were a couple of tantalizing possibilities but everyone of them turned out to be from 2003, etc.

The file was created in Excel 2003 and I'm using Excel 2010. Could this be a conflict in that regard?

Finally I worked around the logo by adding and deleting rows (so it's apparently connected to a specific cell...?) and got my boss to bless it so it's okay, although it doesn't look as good as I'd like it to. Not bad for one hour's notice but still it's driving me nuts. Does the circle-and-slash "no" symbol when I hover over the image indicate something in particular, a way to handle it if I only knew what it was?

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Blind guess, since I can't reproduce the issue in 2010 - have you checked your headers/footers options under page setup? Someone might have snuck a picture in there and this would only be visible in certain views.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back