How to manipulate dates to reflect current year anniversary

jayd77

I need to manipulate a hire date to reflect an employee's current anniversary date in a different column of a query. This is easy to do for the first year, just add 365 to the hire date. After that though, I need to now how many years have passed since the hire date so I can properly add the right number of years to get the current anniversary date. Any help would be much appreciated!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hi Jay,

With all resplect to Dan I think you want a solution that will be self maintaining. Access has a full set of date functions. Date() will return the current system date and year(date()) will return the current system year. If the your hire date is stored in a variable named hiredate and is set to #12/25/65# the following will hold. month(hiredate) will return a 12, day(hiredate) will return a 25 and year(date()) will return 2003. Now put that together. Anniversary = month(hiredate) & "/" & day(hiredate) & "/" & year(date()) will return 12/25/2003!

Now if you want use DateDiff("yyyy", hiredate, Date()) will return the number of years as of today, or DateDiff("yyyy" hiredate, Anniversary) for the number of years on his anniversary.

BTW all of this can be done in the immediate window for testing.

Upvote 0
The easiest way I can think of is using the DateSerial function:

Say the anniversary date is called dtAnniv. In a blank column in your query add:

• dtAnnThisYr: DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month([dtAnniv]),Day([dtAnniv]))
If by "current anniversary date" you mean the NEXT anniversary date (so if the anniversary date passed yesteray, you want the next one), you can do something like this:

• dtNextAnniv: IIF(DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month([dtAnniv]),Day([dtAnniv])) > Date(), DateSerial(Year(Date())+1,Month([dtAnniv]),Day([dtAnniv])),DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month([dtAnniv]),Day([dtAnniv])))
or:
  • DateSerial(Year(Date())+(Abs(DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month([dtAnniv]),Day([dtAnniv])) < Date())),Month([dtAnniv]),Day([dtAnniv]))
No addition necessary!

HTH,

Russell

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nithchun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back