how to manipulate a formulated workbook without causing manual data to not align with automated data

umayay

I am creating a Demand/Actuals document to keep track of each employee's projects and the hours needed each week and what hours were actually used.
In the Demand tab, I input the data for the expected time needed each week per project and on the actual's worksheet, I pull the data from the demand tab into it but I want to update the expected hours to be the actuals.

However, the issue comes when I add new projects to the demand tab and then want to sort them by project code and personnel's name. When I do this, the cells that I manually add to the Actuals Tab do not move with the formulated cells.

How can I lock the manual data to move with the formulated data so that when I sort them on the demand tab, it doesn't negatively affect the Actuals tab?

Here is the Demand tab example with the expected hours (filtered by project and then by Employee).

A
B
C
D
E
Project Name
Employee
Wk 1 hrs
Wk 2 hrs
Wk 3 hrs
Atrialway
Adam
Bicuspid
Adam
Heatpath
Breanna
Fortnite
John

<tbody>
</tbody>

Here is the Actuals tab example with the actual hours for each wk manually added
Cells A2:B5 are auto-populated from the demand tab

A
B
C
D
E
Project Name
Employee
Wk 1 hrs
Wk 2 hrs
Wk 3 hrs
Atrialway
Adam
Bicuspid
Adam
Heatpath
Breanna
Fortnite
John

<tbody>
</tbody>

So now, say I need to add a new project called Teather for Breanna. I add it to the Demand tab and then filter again by project and then by Employee. It shows up correctly on the Demand tab (see below) but not on the Actuals tab. The hours do not move with the new project, they are now showing up on the wrong lines.

Demand Tab:
A
B
C
D
E
Project Name
Employee
Wk 1 hrs
Wk 2 hrs
Wk 3 hrs
Atrialway
Adam
Bicuspid
Adam
Heatpath
Breanna
Teather
Breanna
Fortnite
John

<tbody>
</tbody>

Actuals Tab: You can see that data in cells C5:E5 did not move down to stay with John's project but are now showing up for the new project that was added to the demand tab.
A
B
C
D
E
Project Name
Employee
Wk 1 hrs
Wk 2 hrs
Wk 3 hrs
Atrialway
Adam
Bicuspid
Adam
Heatpath
Breanna
Teather
Breanna
Fortnite
John

<tbody>
</tbody>

How do I get the manual data entered to stay with the auto-populated data when I sort them on the Demand Tab? Or is there a better way to create these two workbooks so that I can keep track of the demand vs actuals?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back