How to make excel stop putting a hyperlink in my lookup formula after exiting the file

lionhearted012

I made a calculator that grabs data from an external online reference. On the first sheet I have a link that is =HYPERLINK("http://www.wowuction.com/us/illidan/horde/Tools/RealmDataExportGetFileStatic?type=csv&dl=true&token=5L7U_r_iGWpMkMqHHmfPgQ2","Refresh") refresh is just the name it appears as. I then have sheet 2 which is a calculation sheet and sheet 3 which has a bunch of item names, id's and prices. sheet 2 grabs all of the information from sheet 3, runs it through the calculations i set then posts all the results on sheet 1 for which items the person should buy for profit. sheet 3 pulls the data from an external excel spreadsheet B that always has the same name but i cannot edit it for whatever reason and spreadsheet B is the spreadsheet that opens up every time the hyperlink on sheet 1 from spreadsheet A is clicked. The information from spreadsheet B is updated every hour from an external website.

Here is the problem when I close spreadsheet A, excel edits my lookup formula on spreadsheet A sheet 3, which causes my lookup formula to not work anymore. What it does is it posts the hyperlink address from sheet 1 into the formula and I have no idea why. Here is an example of what the broken formula looks like =LOOKUP(I7,'http://www.wowuction.com/us/illidan/horde/Tools/[RealmDataExportGetFileStatic?type=csv&dl=true&token=5L7U_r_iGWpMkMqHHmfPgQ2]RealmDataExportGetFileStatic'!$E:$E,'http://www.wowuction.com/us/illidan/horde/Tools/[RealmDataExportGetFileStatic?type=csv&dl=true&token=5L7U_r_iGWpMkMqHHmfPgQ2]RealmDataExportGetFileStatic'!$J:$J)

here is what the formula looks like before excel edits it when i close the file =LOOKUP(I7,'RealmDataExportGetFileStatic'!$E:$E,'RealmDataExportGetFileStatic'!$J:$J)

How do i make excel stop putting the hyperlink reference from the sheet 1 into the lookup formula on sheet 3?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
If you reference an open external workbook in a formula, the formula will be amended to include its full path when you close it. That's also the case if you open the target workbook when the source workbook is closed. That's what's happening in your scenario. The solution is to move sheet RealmDataExportGetFileStatic into your workbook when the workbook that contains it is opened.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back