How to make a formula advance 8 rows when dragging fill handle

Anthony7681

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am working on a time tracking workbook. I have 5 weekly time sheets with a monthly sheet totalling time.
On the monthly sheet I have a long formula written to total up one person's time for 1 day.
I need to copy the formula to the other 20+ people.
When I drag the fill handle down it advances all the rows on the formula by 1.
How can I get it to advance it by 8 instead
Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Hello! If, for example, the values are in column D, then the link should be made like $D2. In this case, when stretching the formula, everything will work correctly.

Upvote 0
I have a sum formula with 5 sumif formulas inside. For example sum(sumif('week 1'b4:b9........)
I would need the formula to copy down into the next row as sum(sumif('week 1'b12:b17........) and carry on advancing everything by 8. Is there a way to make the fill feature do this?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

You have not given us the whole formula that you are using or told us exactly where the formulas are placed but see if this example helps.
For each group of numbers below I am trying to sum those > 5

Anthony7681.xlsm
B
week 1

Here is the formula I have dragged down. Note that the C$3 and C3 in the first formula is the address of that first cell.

Anthony7681.xlsm
C
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C3:C5C3=LET(b,'week 1'!B:B,SUMIF(INDEX(b,(ROWS(C$3:C3)-1)*8+4):INDEX(b,(ROWS(C$3:C3)-1)*8+9),">5"))

For the future I suggest that you investigate XL2BB for providing sample data & expected results to make it easier for helpers to understand just what you have & where it is and also what you want & where it is to be and also easy for them to copy data and formulas to test with. :)
(If you have trouble with XL2BB, review the "XL2BB Icons greyed out" link in the 'Known XL2BB issues' section near the top of the XL2BB Instructions page linked above.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam1121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back