how to kill the optional emoticons

miconian

When I am composing a post, I would rather not look at the menagerie of emoticons to the left of the text window. They also suck up my meagre memory and make my cursor flicker. Short of logging on from lynx, is there a way to make them go away?

when posting a shorter reply, you could use the 'quick reply' box beneath the post, rather than hitting 'reply' to go to the reply window. other than that, you're stuck with them afaik, I don't know whether there's a user-level setting - if there is, it's not currently enabled on this board.

Okay. That's too bad, because the time they're most annyoing is when I'm formulating a question to start a new thread. I guess I'll just log in with something text-based from now on.

If you happen to be using Internet Explorer (I don't know if you are or not), you can just click "stop" in your browser window once the page finishes loading, and all animated gifs will stop moving until you change pages again. You could also go to the multimedia portion of your IE settings and uncheck the box that says "play animations in web pages" to permanently disable memory-sucking smilies and other such things. There is also the option of web filtering software to selectively not display certain objects...

HTH. HAND.

I almost always view this site in either Netscape or Firefox, and I need to be able to see web animations for my job.

Come on now...this is a site for intelligent people to exchange ideas about a complicated subject. Is it really uncommon for someone to be distracted and annoyed by all the little happy faces gesturing at me while I try to figure out the best way to express to some guru what I'm trying to acheive? And distracting for the gurus as well?

To be honest, while having them stop moving would certainly be an improvement, the fact that they're even there at all is pretty ridiculous. Does anyone really think those things are clever or cute? Do posters often say to themselves, "Hey, I'm feeling frustrated, how do I express myself in a humorous way? Oh, lookee there, that same animation of the red face banging itself against the wall that I have watched out of the corner of my eye for cumulative days now! *That's* what I'll use!" And those who see it will of course be caught completely off guard, and say to themselves, "Oh! Look at that silly little frustrated happy face! He must represent the poster's own frustration! Ahaha!"

Guys, I love the site, but do you realize that every time you enter a new post, there are *thirty-five* emoticons looking at you from a space right next to the text box? Does that really not seem weird? If we have the choice of using so many pre-designed images in our posts, isn't it a shame that they're not, say, Excel toolbar icons, or something else that might be vaguely useful and familiar?

Ok. I actually have thought about that way before you even posted this, but:

1) We would have to find a phpbb mod to mess with the smilies, or figure out how to change the code. I have actually been digging around some mods for reasons unrelated to this board, but the only thing I've really seen is something for "drop down list" where you have to choose the smilie you want from the list, then click on the image of it when it shows up. I haven't seen anything making it an option in the profile, for example.

2) Even if I wanted to add any mods to the board, I can't. I can't speak for Tracy, but I may be an admin, but I do not have access to any of the files for the board or the server, etc.

3) A lot of people do use the things, whether you do or not.

If I find something to make it an option, I'll see what can be done about getting it changed. Unless that happens, there's not much to be done except live with it.

Thanks for your attention. For the record, I think that option 1 would be a big improvement. :)

Actually, you can toggle images on/off in IE (IE6, at least) by going to Tools\Internet Options\Advanced tab and scrolling down to the Multimedia section and unchecking the box next to "show pictures."

Yep, but this was just a button on the links bar, so much friendlier.

Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KENNETH ROGERS

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back