how to hide "type a question for help" box in access 2003?

dadek2000

please advise how to hide "type a question for help" box in access 2003? running a customized menu bar with no tabs.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hmm, that's going back a ways. I used to hide all the menu bars in an application and substitute a custom one, but that was before the dastardly ribbon. I can't recall which one contained your offending object, but I can offer some code that might help. Be sure to test it on a new db that you don't care about. I do believe you have to reverse the following on exit lest you affect all instances of Access thereafter. At least if that happens, simply getting this code to cycle again would put things right. My startup routing invoked the menu altering function: Call SetMenus(False, True) False means 'turn off' Access menus, True means turn on db menu.
Code:
Function SetMenus(DefMenuState As Boolean, AppMenuState As Boolean)
Dim cbc As CommandBarControl

On Error GoTo errHandler
'*******************
'AppMenuState (for the application) and DefMenuState (for default)are the variables being
'passed to show/hide a menu bar. 'This is called on startup and shutdown. Defaults are
're-established on shutdown, custom program menu is established on startup
'*******************
CommandBars("Menu Bar").Enabled = DefMenuState
CommandBars("Database").Enabled = DefMenuState
CommandBars("mnuMain").Visible = AppMenuState

exitHere:
Exit Function

errHandler:
Call errMsg
Resume exitHere
End Function

The next is part of code I used to show/hide (or maybe it was just disable) one item from a menu. You might be able to tweak the debug part to find the name of the object you want to hide. &Admin is the name of the custom menu on the custom menubar.

Code:
Public Function DisableMenu(UserLevel As String)
Dim cb As CommandBar
Dim cbpAdmin As CommandBarPopup

On Error GoTo errHandler
Set cb = CommandBars!mnuMain

'*************
'the following prints menu items in immediate window to check their names
'Debug.Print cb.Controls.Item("&Admin").Caption
'Debug.Print cb.Controls.Item("&Admin").CommandBar.Controls(3).Caption
'*************
'using function & cases permits different combinations for any level that may be added

Upvote 0
Thanks Micron. I am looking at your reply like a sheep "staring at a new gate" . I have absolutely no experience of working with VBA. Would you please put it in a language for dummies.

Upvote 0
Perhaps I presumed your level of expertise was somewhat broader because you were looking for something to modify or replace the built in toolbar/menubars. I decided to Google your request to see if there was something else and came up with this (looks promising for you).
hide the Type a question for help box | PC Review

What I posted could be useful to you in the future, but it sounds like you'll have to research the menubar as a topic and look for info on that object model along with its collections. It's not a subject for anyone without any VBA experience, though. If you modify them, you will affect subsequent instances of Access if you don't set them back to the way they were.

Sorry for the confusion!

Upvote 0
Thank Micron for the quick reply. The link you mentioned was explored by me before I posted the question. The VBA app. I am working on restricts my option for customization. Therefore, I cant use hints from that link. However I did manage to disable menu bar in design view through property box by typing "=1" for menu bar in "other" tab. There also were "help" and "help context" with blank and 0 values subsequently. don't know if they have anything to do with help box. Tried to put different values there, did not help. If VBA codes are the only options, I have to try and get some basic required knowledge in order to finish this job.

Upvote 0
The VBA app. I am working on restricts my option for customization.
Now I'm not sure if you're referring to a VB5/6 from 2003 (Visual Basic) app, which would be kind of outdated, or Access. Partly also because I don't recall being able to manipulate tool or menu bars via any design view property box. It was usually Access Options dialogs that allowed you to show/hide menu bars, but that predates the Office ribbon. So if your project really is VB (i.e. VB5, VB6 or VB.Net) the code I posted will be useless to you. Good luck with your project.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back