How to create DIGITAL SIGNATURE by VBA ?

sthanawa

Board Regular
Hi All ,

When we are openning the Excel file that contained VBA code , usually it will prompt asking for Close or Open Macro.

I know this problem must solve by add digital signature. But I can not add my digital signature to all computers that using my Excel file.

How can I do ?

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
try;
Digitally sign a macro project
Make sure you have at least one digital certificate before you try to sign a macro project

Open the workbook or template that contains the macro project you want to sign.

On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and then click Visual Basic Editor.

In the Project Explorer, click the project you want to sign.

On the Tools menu, click Digital Signatures.

Do one of the following:
To use the current certificate, click OK.

To use a different certificate, click Choose, select the certificate you want, click OK, and then click OK again.

Upvote 0
Not to hijack the thread here, but I have always been unclear on this... Where do you obtain a digital signature?

Upvote 0
Hi, Oorang.

Run SELFCERT.EXE. It's likely under Program files --> Microsoft Office --> Office10

Upvote 0
I thought selfcert only worked for the machine on which it was created?

Upvote 0
You'd create a digital signature using SELFCERT.EXE, sign your code, and have everyone else add you as a trusted source so that your macros would run on their machines. See "About Digital Signatures" in Excel help for a better explanation...

Upvote 0
FWIW - I Googled about a bit and I'm not finding any "how to's" on creating some type of network-based list of accepted digital signatures that would be automatically added to a user's security profile upon login. If such an animal exists, I am not finding it.

Upvote 0
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the post it was pretty informative. Unfortunatly it was informative enough to tell me that it's not quite the solution I am looking for. I see from your post that it will still require the user to change their security settings. I was looking for something that could allow the user to keep their setting on at reasonably high levels (particularly not allowing trust access to the VB project.), but still allowing our company code to run. As I advance in skill I am writing programs that access the VBIDE and I really hate for our users to be running around with those settings turned down. If we spring for a mainline cert will that still be an issue?

Upvote 0
:unsure: You only need drop the fences while you install your digi-sig. You may hafta close & re-open the file to enable the "alway trust..." checkbox. But once you check that "always trust..." checkbox, you can raise security back to high. I do it all da time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeoldeusrename

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back