How to create a parameter query that can be used for multiple reports but the date range needs to be entered only 1 time.

Galapagos15

Board Regular
I have an access database that creates several 5 different reports based on a date range and shows different cuts of data. The user would run each of the 5 different reports each month. How can I set up 1 date range parameter query which is used for the first report and then somehow have that parameter saved so they don't have to reenter the same date range when they run the other 4 reports? Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
What I often like to do is create a one-record table to hold my parameters.
Then create a Form bound to this one-record table where you enter the parameters.
Then, link this one-record table to your queries to provide the parameters you need (simply join the table to the query on the parameter field).

Upvote 0
Your welcome! Glad you were able to incorporate that strategy.

One little trick that I used is on the entry form where I enter in the parameters, I change the Properties of the Form to not allow any Record additions or Deletions. That way, as long as people just use the form and don't go into the table directly, I can ensure that there will always be just exactly one record in it, so all my queries will work as expected.

Upvote 0
Your welcome! Glad you were able to incorporate that strategy.

One little trick that I used is on the entry form where I enter in the parameters, I change the Properties of the Form to not allow any Record additions or Deletions. That way, as long as people just use the form and don't go into the table directly, I can ensure that there will always be just exactly one record in it, so all my queries will work as expected.

For this to work in a multi-user databases I would assume the table is local table in the front end (split database). Otherwise one user's date range would override anther user's dates.

Upvote 0
For this to work in a multi-user databases I would assume the table is local table in the front end (split database). Otherwise one user's date range would override anther user's dates.
Good point. Yes if you have a split database in a multi-user environment, you would want this criteria Table in the front-end database.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back