How to Convert blanks to "-"

VeeBa

Board Regular
Hello Experts! Help pls. I have below code in my workbook which formats the numbers in my pivot table to 2 decimal places (and no decimal for UK region) and turns zeros into "-". How can i add a line item to change also blanks (not zeros) with "-"? Can i incorporate it below or requires another line item of code? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Code:
With pvttblBusiness.PivotFields("Summary of Expenses")
        .Orientation = xlDataField
        If UCase(RegionSelected) = "UK" And UCase(BusinessName) = "Eng" Then
            [B].NumberFormat = "#,##0; -#,##0; -"[/B]
        Else
           [B] .NumberFormat = "#,##0.00; -#,##0.00; -"[/B]
        End If
        .Function = xlSum
End With[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=3][COLOR=#1d2129]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Try:
Code:
        .NumberFormat = IIf(UCase(RegionSelected) = "UK" And UCase(BusinessName) = "ENG", "#,##0;-#,##0;-;", "#,##0.00;-#,##0.00;-;")
        .Function = xlSum
End With

Upvote 0
Try:
Code:
        .NumberFormat = IIf(UCase(RegionSelected) = "UK" And UCase(BusinessName) = "ENG", "#,##0;-#,##0;-;", "#,##0.00;-#,##0.00;-;")
        .Function = xlSum
End With

Hi JackDanIce! Thanks for the response. But it's not working :( I can still see blanks in my data fields..

Upvote 0
I'm not too sure I'm afraid, but does seem unusual quirk.

Applying number formatting "#,##0;-#,##0;-" to cell A1 then using values of -1, 0 and 1 I can get the cell to show zero as a hyphen. I next confirmed this using the same values in cell A2 and running code:
Code:
cells(2,1).NumberFormat = "#,##0;-#,##0;-"
Which also displays 0 as hyphen.

Maybe try recording a macro and checking the pivot table values do format as you require, then adapt that code to your macro?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not too sure I'm afraid, but does seem unusual quirk.

Applying number formatting "#,##0;-#,##0;-" to cell A1 then using values of -1, 0 and 1 I can get the cell to show zero as a hyphen. I next confirmed this using the same values in cell A2 and running code:
Code:
cells(2,1).NumberFormat = "#,##0;-#,##0;-"
Which also displays 0 as hyphen.

Maybe try recording a macro and checking the pivot table values do format as you require, then adapt that code to your macro?

Sorry I think my question wasn't clear..Actually, its not the zeros that I am trying to replace with "-". I am trying to replace blank cells with "-". I tried recording but it only gave out numberformat = nullstring code..when I tried to incorporate in my codes, it is debugging.. it's not working.. any suggestions?

Upvote 0
This does replace zero with "-"
Code:
:#,##0;-#,##0;-
Whether I use that directly to define the cell format or in VBA as argument to .NumberFormat, tested to verify

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Code:
Whether I use that directly to define the cell format or in VBA as argument to .NumberFormat, tested to verify

Hi JackDanIce - Sorry but my question is how to replace blanks (as in empty cells not zeros) in my pivot fields with "-"?

Upvote 0
Code:

Hi Jack! Can you help on this buddy? I am willing to share my workbook so you can try on your end..I've tried a lot of codes but nothing is working :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PattiButche

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back