How to connect gps coordinates with location names and associated data

L

Legacy 335715

Hi all,

I have just entered into the 5th year of a predator trapping project. All prior work is quite a mess, and massive.

The project began with ~ 100 traps in a valley, each one given a numerical name. At random intervals, additional traps have been set up in this valley, also given numerical names, to now total over 700 traps. Every 10-50 days (#days not important) someone would walk to each trap and record "0" or "1" depending on presence/absence of a predator.

The data is split into several different tabs within excel according to geographic "area" (this designation is also not very important). Columns are sorted into date, location name, predator type, trap type, etc. and rows are ascending trap name (numerical).

My dilemma: I need to attach the GPS coordinates to each trap location. This is difficult because:
- New rows have been copied/pasted for each time someone has walked the line of traps, only separating each trap check by a blank line (leading to 10,000+ rows of data per tab)
- New traps added to each area have been inserted essentially randomly into the data (ex: a check in june/2010 has 27 traps and their captures listed, and a check in april/2014 has 85 traps and their captures)
- I am left with rows upon rows of repeated data without an associated GPS point for each trap location
- I have the GPS points of all ~700 final locations, sorted by geographic area, but this is not linked/connected in any way to the locations that are actually associated with the data about captures.
- I need to be able to show the rates of capture per trap on a map using QGIS

Is there a way to take the Location name and coordinates from one file, and link those with the Location name and trapping data from another file without having to line everything up within the original data set (which would require hours upon hours of work)?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back