How to chart frequency of values within a data set

cobaline

Hi everyone,

I have a long list of numerical values, many of which are like. For each value, I want to figure out how many instances of that value exist within the list.

For example, there are 14 0's, 18 7's, and 22 162's in this list. I counted these by hand, but I'd like to perform the same action for the entire list (which is 8500+ rows long) so I can chart the results (i.e. where are these values clustered? What's the most common # in the list? etc.).

Is there a way to do this using a formula or combination of formulas - any ideas? I've been driving myself nuts. Thx in advance for your help!!

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hi cobaline
Welcome to the board

The easiest way is to select the values and create a Pivot Table. You can ask for the count of each item.

Remark: you should always post your excel version (or add it to your signature), as solutions may vary according to the version.

Upvote 0
Thx so much for the input! Just familiarized myself with the PivotTable - very helpful. Unfortunately, all the data I have is in one column, and I can't seem to figure out how to count individual values that are stacked in the same column. Am I missing a PivotTable capability, or is there anything else you might recommend instead?

Thx again.

Version: Excel 2008 for Mac or Excel 2007 for PC

Upvote 0
Hi there - thx again! I actually just figured out how to do this using a PivotTable (you can add the list of values to the PivotTable as both a column and a data set, so it counts the instances of that value), but will def check out your suggestions next. Much appreciated!

Upvote 0
Yes, adding the same column as a row field and a data field is the way to go. It's good you figured it out on your own. :)
Hi there - thx again! I actually just figured out how to do this using a PivotTable (you can add the list of values to the PivotTable as both a column and a data set, so it counts the instances of that value), but will def check out your suggestions next. Much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back