How to calculate these data? Cannot work with nested IF.

areriff

I have these data which all contain boolean value.
All cells from AR3 to BC3 is boolean.
Every line works independently. But I cannot seems to get it to work if nested together.
It gives error of too many argument.

IF(AND(AR3,AS3,AT3,AU3,AV3,AW3,AX3,AY3,AZ3,BA3,BB3,BC3),"Construct 12","Construct 11")
IF(AND(AR3,AS3,AT3,AU3,AV3,AW3,AX3,AY3,AZ3,BA3,BB3),"Construct 11","Construct 10")
IF(AND(AR3,AS3,AT3,AU3,AV3,AW3,AX3,AY3,AZ3,BA3),"Construct 10","Construct 9")
IF(AND(AR3,AS3,AT3,AU3,AV3,AW3,AX3,AY3,AZ3),"Construct 9","Construct 8")
IF(AND(AR3,AS3,AT3,AU3,AV3,AW3,AX3,AY3),"Construct 8","Construct 7")
IF(AND(AR3,AS3,AT3,AU3,AV3,AW3,AX3),"Construct 7","Construct 6")
IF(AND(AR3,AS3,AT3,AU3,AV3,AW3),"Construct 6","Construct 5")
IF(AND(AR3,AS3,AT3,AU3,AV3),"Construct 5","Construct 4")
IF(AND(AR3,AS3,AT3,AU3),"Construct 4","Construct 3")
IF(AND(AR3,AS3,AT3),"Construct 3","Construct 2")
IF(AND(AR3,AS3),"Construct 2","Construct 1")
IF(AND(AR3),"Construct 1","Construct 0")

How to go around and make it work?

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Does this formula return what you are looking for?

="Construct "&MATCH(FALSE,AR3:BC3,0)-1

Upvote 0
Turns out i've not been careful of my syntaxes, it was missing a comma and parentheses, my nested if works.

However, thanks Rick, now I've learn something new about MATCH which i've never see before.

Upvote 0
Turns out i've not been careful of my syntaxes, it was missing a comma and parentheses, my nested if works.

However, thanks Rick, now I've learn something new about MATCH which i've never see before.
Just so I am clear on this... did my formula actually do what you wanted or not?

Upvote 0
Just so I am clear on this... did my formula actually do what you wanted or not?

No, as it is not the purpose and my intention.

each of those cells have boolean value from the actual data and I want it to evaluate and return a specific string.
In the formula above, the string that I want to display is "Construct 1-12".
This is simplified version of that
=IF(AND(A1,A2,A3,A4),"Construct 12",IF(AND(A1,A2,A3),"Construct 11",IF(AND(A1,A2),"Construct 10",IF(A1=TRUE(),"Construct 9","Construct 8")

I've read somewhere that nested IF is limited to only 7 level. But it works here. Maybe the limitation has been lifted somehow.

Upvote 0
No, as it is not the purpose and my intention.
That is probably because you did not tell us what your purpose or intention was in your original message.

each of those cells have boolean value from the actual data and I want it to evaluate and return a specific string.
In the formula above, the string that I want to display is "Construct 1-12".
This is simplified version of that
=IF(AND(A1,A2,A3,A4),"Construct 12",IF(AND(A1,A2,A3),"Construct 11",IF(AND(A1,A2),"Construct 10",IF(A1=TRUE(),"Construct 9","Construct 8")
See, even here your intention is not clear. You say you wanted "Construct 1-12", but then your example formula does not show the "1-" part leaving us to wonder exactly what you do want. I also note that in your example, you specify cells A1, A2, A3, etc., which is a range of cells down a single column, but in your original post you said "All cells from AR3 to BC3 is Boolean" which is a range of cells across a single row. So, again, it is unclear what you are looking for. Assuming your range in Message #1 is correct, is the only thing wrong with my formula's output that the "1-" is missing (when the number of consecutive TRUEs is more than 1)? If so, and assuming AR3:BC3 always have either TRUE or FALSE in them (that is, none are blank), then try this formula...

="Construct "&IF(AT3=TRUE,"-1 ","")&MATCH(FALSE,AR3:BC3,0)-1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back