How to build a Menu Form with Submenus

Course

Board Regular
Hello, I want to create a Menu Form so that I can drill down into my database.

I initially used a Navigation Form but many of the Forms and Reports I added to the Nav Form either wouldnt work correctly or didnt display correctly so i decided against using it.

I want to build my own Menu Form but I cant figure out how to get the command buttons to display submenus when they are clicked(similar to how the buttons work on Nav Form).

I know that I can just use the command buttons to open other forms but this is a long winded way of drilling down.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can build this Menu Form.
Thank you

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Kind of an old fashioned look I suppose, but did you rule out combo boxes as a way of presenting lists? Or a tab control to present the submenus based on the main menu?
I have to wonder, what the heck was wrong with the whole menu bar thing, dating back to v 2003? I know I can create/modify a menu when using 2007 but can't say if they've taken that away lately.

Upvote 0
Kind of an old fashioned look I suppose, but did you rule out combo boxes as a way of presenting lists? Or a tab control to present the submenus based on the main menu?
I have to wonder, what the heck was wrong with the whole menu bar thing, dating back to v 2003? I know I can create/modify a menu when using 2007 but can't say if they've taken that away lately.

Thanks for the reply, I had forgotten about how useful the Tab control could be. I will use that in some forms. I might use the combos with drop downs also. Im not sure if this is considered dated or not but I can try it and comapre which method is best.

It was aslo sugggested to me elsewhere that I could use Label controls and set their hyperlink property to open forms but that leaves me in the same position as using command buttons in that the user will end up smothered in Forms.

Regarding whats wrong with using the menu bar tool. Im using Access 365 2016 and that option is not available as far as Im aware. There does seem to me a macro option to create menus but im not sure if this applies to custom menus or user interface menus but i will check this later.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was aslo sugggested to me elsewhere
Can you say from where?
The menu/toolbar builder I was referring to hasn't been available since version 2003, I believe. In 2007, you have to build/modify and show entirely with code.

Upvote 0
I'd agree that using labels would be no better with respect to functionality. They might allow for a prettier interface, but I don't get why one would use the hyperlink property as opposed to a click event. That being said, it does appear as though you're getting help on this topic elsewhere too, albeit under a different title and different user name. Hope that's not the case...

Upvote 0
I'd agree that using labels would be no better with respect to functionality. They might allow for a prettier interface, but I don't get why one would use the hyperlink property as opposed to a click event. That being said, it does appear as though you're getting help on this topic elsewhere too, albeit under a different title and different user name. Hope that's not the case...

What do you mean by getting help elsewhere. I told you im on the UtterAccess forum also. I have only one acount with MrExcel

Upvote 0
It's not explicitly against the rules to cross post but it is good manners to provide the link if you do. I don't see any cross-posting going on here and in any event the link to a related thread (but not duplicate thread) was provided upon request. So let's please end any argument about cross-posting here. Cross posting is addressed in our forum rules rule #13)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pnkundalia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back