How to automatically recalculate all workbooks in a office 365 spreadsheet each time its opened without using vba or macros.

olddrummerguy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've tried every suggestion I could find. Using commands like Now() or Today(). I simply want to build a desktop office 365 excel spreadsheet that will run the recalculate for all workbooks each time its opened regardless of the user. So I can email it and this auto recalculate will still happen.

One of the workbooks (lets call it workbook 1) in the spreadsheet gets updated by a third party program. It loads data not formulas workbook 1 without really opening it in excel. The spreadsheet has workbook 2 that refers to the cells in workbook 1. I'm trying to get this workbook 1 to recalculate and pulling those cells that are referenced each time its opened.

Because the spreadsheet will be shared/emailed I cant assume any of the users have macros enabled so this cant relay on VBA or macros.

Does anyone have any idea's since the =Now() and =Today() don't seem to work for me.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Thinking this through: Excel normally calculates when you open a workbook. So if you have a main WB with links to a WB2 dependent (with formulas) on data from another WB1, then I think the only way to get WB2 to update is to open it and save it so it will grab the new data from WB1. If you're not going to use macros, then it's your job to update that WB2 file on a regular basis. Once WB2 has been updated then the MAIN WB will see the new data automatically.

Upvote 0
Hi Jeff, I think I follow what your suggesting. I just gave it a try and nothing automatically updated.

To be clear all of the references I made in the explanation are all contained in a single spreadsheet. I'm just using several "tabs". One tab for data import (data gets put into this from the third party software). One tab that has formulas to the cells in the data import tab, that the one that I'm trying to auto update.

Upvote 0
One workbook doesn't have issues updating when opened. Really there's nothing to do unless you have pivot tables. As far as others getting the new data from the external source updated into the emailed version, that's a different story. If the people you email have access to a shared folder, you could put the external data into another workbook and then they would get the new data upon opening the emailed WB.

Upvote 0
I'm not really sure if you and I are on the same page. It might be easier to have me share a copy of the spreadsheet. Is this possible to do here?

Upvote 0
You could upload to a cloud storage and share the link here (making sure the link is public)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glb2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back