How long should I wait?

mRSCV

Board Regular
I posted what I thought woul dbe a simple solution but I have not gotten any replies in my thread and many people after me have been answered many times over. Is that enough waiting time to repost it?

Don't repost. Answer your own thread and just insert the word Bump.

Because of the number of posts hitting the forum, yours can be off the first page in just a few minutes at peak time. If no answers after half an hour or so, just bump it.

If you still don't get an answer look to see if you provided enough detail in the original post. A clear description (with possibly a screen layout using the Jeanie (see links on the Excel front page) will get more attention than something that is either vague or missing detail.

Denis

Last edited:
awesome thank you, reposted (oopS) i wont do that again, i shall do what you suggest.

Another strategy is not to bump and leave it unanswered. Others can & do filter for threads with no reply to identify threads that they might answer.

To Denis' point, look for your thread in the questions forum to see how many people have looked at it. If it's rush hour, you might have gotten pushed off the first page quickly and you'll see that only a few ever read your thread. However, if you see that you've gotten a lot of reads, but no answers then folks are reading it and then deciding to pass on it - you need to see if you can guess why. Usually it's not enough info. Or sometimes, too much info (you're overwhelming them).

Definitely do NOT re-post your questions. If we see them, we will lock or delete them (for our official stance on this, see rules 21-23 here: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127080).

As Denis mentioned, you can bump your own threads. However, I would recommend waiting much longer than a half-hour, at least a few hours or so. I say this for the reason that Fazza states. Many of us filter on unanswered posts, regardless of how old they may be. If you bump your own post quickly, it now has a reply to it and no longer looks unanswered. Hence, it may get less "looks" if you bump it too quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back