How does one send an SOS to the MVPs?

Greg Truby

MrExcel MVP
What's the "proper form / etiquette / protocol" to raise a white flag and seek help from one of you heavy hitters when I'm in over my head? Trying to help a chap with a question on query tables and I'm not gettin' the job done. (I shoulda passed, but his flag is Costa Rica and I used to live there, but I digress).

So anyhow - back to my original question - traffic is so heavy here that threads can move one or two pages down really quickly and I fear that if one sees five or six posts on a thread it may be construed has being "under control". Is there a recommended way to call out to the MVP's when you're outta ideas on helping the OP? (Of course there's an implied question here too: Is my fear of MVP's overlooking threads with several posts unfounded?)

Thanks,

I think it could be a bit unfounded, but then again, I can't speak for the others :)

Sometimes I skip over threads like that, other times I skim through them to see if they're answered...depends on whether or not I could actually provide any suggestions. The thread you're talking about, for example, I can't help whatsoever, though I have skimmed through it.

This thread will very likely send some over there :)

If nothing else, there's always the PM function as a last resort, but most of them tend to ignore requests for help to my knowledge, since that's the point of the board anyway.

Hiya Kristy - yeah, I know, to even think such thoughts probably borders on blashphemy :devilish:

To all: The OP responded back that he's managed to get the problem solved. Claims I helped him - but I think he's bein' a bit generous.

I find that if there's a particular MVP you think can help, then in the thread, ask for that MVP's help. Someway somehow, that MVP usually stumbles upon the thread and obliges very graciously.

tbardoni said:
I find that if there's a particular MVP you think can help, then in the thread, ask for that MVP's help. Someway somehow, that MVP usually stumbles upon the thread and obliges very graciously.

I can only speak for myself, BUT yes, if you think there is someone who could help then try PMing them, the worst that can happen is that they reply with a get lost :biggrin:, but seriously, I think all/most would try and help out.

Why not have a brief synopsis of each MVP (there aren't that many) - and their specialities? Obviously a lot of people are good all rounders but there are some people I would always go to for specific problems - DK(Dan), Tusharm, Juan Pablo, Andrew P etc etc... At least that way people could quote specific users in their post... I occasionally use the search to see if my name has cropped up (ie who's slagging me off this time) in posts - I am sure the MVPs do likewise.

Happy Christmas etc etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjaimes042510

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back