How do I stop village idiots screwing up my lovely database?

:confused:

Hi chaps. Sorry for posting this as a message, but I've had a look and there's a wealth of information out there. If somebody could consolidate this and let me know what I need to look for, I'd be much obliged.

I've got a swanky database which looks all pretty and has buttons and macros and all sorts of fancy stuff which is mostly there to make people go "oooooh" and be useable to even the simplest Village Idiot. The only problem is that the vast majority of people who are going to be using it ARE Village Idiots. At least in MS Access terms.

How can I stop the Village Idiot contingent screwing up my database while still giving them the rights to update certain fields on various forms?Any help at all would be spectacularly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Caring Sharing Bristol Billy Bob.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Re: How do I stop village idiots screwing up my lovely datab

Just thought... probably haven't been overly specific.

I need to protect certain cells on forms.

I don't want people to be able to see Tables, Macros, etc., JUST the forms I've created for them.

Ideally, I only want people to be able to navigate through the forms using the macros I've created, not close them down themselves etc...

Any help greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Hi CSBBB

You could do the following:

Hide the database window by going to Tools --> Startup. deselect the box that says "Display Database Window". That will hide the database window from users. They could still find it and view it, but it's a start.

As for people messing with your code, you can "compile" your VBA code into an Access MDE file. What this does is compile and hide your code from users, and makes your database a whole lot smaller because the code is no longer viewable. The code is still there, of course, and your events etc will still run perfectly. It also makes your database run faster.

however, there is a down side. If you need to change your code for any reason, the data in the tables needs to be exported to another database, or to Excel etc. and after you change the code and make the new MDE file, then the data can be returned to the tables. It's a hassle, but not a trainsmash.

Try that.

anvil19
:eek:

Upvote 0

You can also put your tables in one db and all your forms/macros/code in another as a front end, then when you need to make changes to the front end you don't have to move data around. keep a non MDE copy, and anytime you make changes, just make a new MDE and distribute it. That way you also have a version history, and if you make a boo-boo, you can revert back to a working version in short order.
Ken.

Upvote 0

The most reliable way to do this is to create a security group for the database.

This will enable you to use a secure logon to the database. You can then set up user accounts and permissions. Meaning that if a user who is logged on to the database does not have permission to do whatever - they cant. Also means the datbase can not be deleted etc..

See the help files and setting up database security on how to do this!

Upvote 0

Hi Guys!

Thank you very much for your help. I think I'm going to delve into the security group option, as - frankly - VB still gives me the heebie geebies.

Also, is there any way to just protect particular fields on a form? I've got some which are populated by existing data in the database (I don't want this changed) and some which are blank for the user to fill in (I want these changed)...

Upvote 0

You can lock the controls that you do not want edited by changing the Locked property. This will prohibit edits.

Giacomo

Upvote 0

Thanks Giacomo, much appreciated. Seriously, I was a complete newbie at Access two months ago, and with the help of the kind people on this board, people in my office are now going "ooooh" and "ahhhhhh" at my creations as opposed to "euwwwww" and "aggghhhh"...

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senthil Murugan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back