How did you learn VBA?

bbot23

I'm 24 and until recently had zero experience with excel and vba. If I want to be a master at vba, what should I do to start? Should I learn a programming language first like Python? Do a bachelor's in software engineering? Maybe dothe same amazing tutorial online that you did and keep practicing on mrexcel requests?

I'm a driven guy, I just need a bit of direction on how to start. I consider myself as having a brain for programming, I just have never programmed. How did you go about it?

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I started with a really good knowledge of Excel, then used Walkenbach's book "Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA". And keep learning new things. Have fun. regards

Last edited:
Same as Fazza. And you'll learn a lot faster if the outcome (ie the project) matters to you.

Denis

Since College days I used to work on VB6.0 but only few months I've found out that it is also useful in MS Office like Excel.
I may say I learned it from gurus, tutorials and being resourceful. You too can be a better coder/programmer.
I had already several projects done (with the help of course of this forum and other tutorials) but keep on learning not only for my own benifits but trying to help also others.
God bless on your journey to programming.
Cheers!
Code:
Sub Message()
MsgBox "Sometimes ignorance is a good start to learn things.",vbOKOnly,"Cheers"
End Sub

I learned box-standard Excel first. Later I started recording macro's and analyzing the code it generates. Then I started to adapt the recorded macro code with the help of this board. In fact I still use the recorder occasionally. I also bought Power Programming by John Walkenbach and it's a great study aid, but the best learning resource has been the board.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. While I like J-Walk's Power Programming titles, in his Dummies title he dumbs it down too much and consequently shortcuts things to the point of demo-ing some dodgy practices like using the auto-instance of userform objecs. For a primer, I'd be more inclined to recommend Reed Jacobson's XL 2007 VBA Step-by-Step on MS Press. Obviously, I'd say to look through Bill's books as well.

I still am learning it; probably won't ever finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xel003

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back