tiredofit

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have this hard drive:

Hitachi Touro Mobile MX3 2.5” Portable Hard Drive, USB 3.0, 1TB

After activating the Safely Remove feature on my PC, the light on the hard drive is still on.

Does anyone have the same problem?

<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hi

I have no idea about that specific hard drive (you should probably be asking this on a general IT forum rather than an Excel forum); but perhaps the light indicates power (i.e. it is plugged in to a power supply).

If it's still plugged into the USB port the light will be just for power there is probably another light for when it is connected to the computer. I know I have a few HHD's like that where they have a separate power light and a connection light.

Thanks.

Just thought that if the light is still on then I shouldn't disconnect, which means I can only disconnect by powering down the PC.

Not very practical for a portable hard drive!

Thanks.

Just thought that if the light is still on then I shouldn't disconnect, which means I can only disconnect by powering down the PC.

Not very practical for a portable hard drive!

lol yeah that would be a pain but at least you do "remove safely" I just yank it out :D

But I'm sure that, that light is just to indicate power and nothing else, a quick safe check is to "click remove" and then go to my computer and see if its showing as a visible storage device. If not then you have disconnected it properly

It's not unusual for the light to stay on - all mine do. If you want to verify that you can disconnect, go to My Computer - do you see the drive? If so, then try to disconnect again. Do you get an error message saying another application is using the drive? In that case, it's best to shut down the pc before unplugging. But if you got the message that it's now ok to unplug the drive - then unplug it.

It's not unusual for the light to stay on - all mine do. If you want to verify that you can disconnect, go to My Computer - do you see the drive? If so, then try to disconnect again. Do you get an error message saying another application is using the drive? In that case, it's best to shut down the pc before unplugging. But if you got the message that it's now ok to unplug the drive - then unplug it.

Thaks, went through the long way and found it's not connected so assumed I could unplug.

Just wanted to make sure it's OK because I don't want to be doing it incorrectly and corrupt the hard drive in the long run.

Just wanted to make sure it's OK because I don't want to be doing it incorrectly and corrupt the hard drive in the long run.

Totally agree. Even when Windows says it's ok to disconnect it, I do the My Computer check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back