Highlight Duplicate Data Problem

t*ducks

I created a workbook with several worksheets. They connect to one worksheet that has several of the same drop down lists on it. I want to be able to find duplicates on the page when the same selection is used in the range I choose. I found how to do that and it works. However I could find no help on how to resolve one problem I encountered. The drop down lists have the same first entry, so when I highlight duplicates on the page all the first entries are highlighted on the worksheet. :oops:

I spent a lot of time working with conditional formatting to no avail. I also looked on line and tried most of the formulas that looked like they would work, but to no avail.

The conditional formula I used is:__

=COUNTIF($C$3:$L$8,C3)>1

The first names in the drop down lists I do not want highlighted are: "Name" and "Staff Names" .

Is there a way to keep the first items in a list from being highlighted on the page. That way when users select the other items with a specific range and they are duplicates they will stand out without having all the highlighted first items also showing on the worksheet.

Thank you.

:confused:

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
I'm not sure how to do 2 words in format but this may get you in the right direction or someone can complete it
conditional format / =and(countif($C$3:$L$8,C3)>1,C3<>"name")

Upvote 0
Thank you grizz, but no dice. I tried it and the boxes remained highlighted.

I was wondering if there is a better approach to making the drop down list boxes visible than having a name at the top of the list. What I saw posted was that you have to have something at the top of the list or the list does not show up well for the user, but having the word titles causes the problem.

The worksheet is for twenty classrooms with a group leader and a co-leader throughout the day, as well as stand in place monitors (also from the "Staff Names" list) and a row for breaks (also from the "Staff Names" list). So the worksheet has numerous drop downs for "Staff" and "Staff Names" on the page. I then have a separate worksheet for each day of the week. Using the same lists for these drop down lists from another page in the workbook allows me to easily make changes that are in all of these drop down lists without having to go back and make the changes individually. That part works fine, it is just finding duplicates on the page that is problematic because the formula highlights the "Name" and "Staff Names" throughout the page too.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated as I have wasted hours trying to find the solution. Thank you. :oops:

Upvote 0
How do I attach the file? If I attach it you could see the workbook and try to see if you could find the solution.

t*ducks:confused:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back