Hierarchical data structure in pivot - blank rows

Myggenx

Hi there

So I have a dataset with a structure in style of:

<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, serif; white-space: inherit; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">Fruit Type Organic Sales
Banana 15$
Apple Green Apple Organic 20$
Apple Red Apple Non-Organic 25$
Apple Red Apple Organic 17$
Orange Califonia 8$
Orange Spain 5$

</code>In other words the fruits have different levels of detail. Say I want to see sales for Banana and organic green apples, this would require me to put Fruit, Type and Organic in row labels and Sales in Values. However the problem arises in that Pivot does show 2 rows of blank values for Banana, repeating the value of Sales. I want Pivot to somehow understand that when that blank values mean that the item is not specificed further and it should stop listing values. I have attached a picture to illustrate my point.

http://i62.tinypic.com/ezh6oj.png

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Right click on the pivot table and go to Pivot Table Options. On the display tab check off the "Classic PivotTable layout".

This will put each category grouping in it's own column, so you can hit the drop down arrow on each sub category and hide the blanks.

Upvote 0
Oops! Since we are in the Power Pivot forum, I assumed you were using Power Pivot... happens frequently :)

Since you seem to NOT be using Power Pivot, you will probably get more response in the main excel forum. Though, maybe Asala42's answer is good for you?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back