Hi Everyone!

Haynesy92

Hi everyone! My names James and I'm from the UK.

I've been working with Excel for around 5 years now and have used advanced functions such as VBA and Macros in the past.

However, because of the lack of contact I've had with Excel over the last year or two I have forgotten a lot of it so I am starting out again as a beginner.

I've just recently been employed at my first job after finishing university and I use Excel to manually input data from various sources. I use Pivot tables to summarize this data so if anyone is kind enough to give me any useful tips on making my Pivot tables better or to speed up my data entry (if possible) it would be really appreciated.

Also, I have set a goal for myself to achieve the MS Excel 2013 Expert certificate in around 15 months. Is this possible? If anyone has any useful tips on the most useful functions to learn for the exam it would be great.

Thanks!!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Welcome to the Board!

I use Excel to manually input data from various sources.

I'd probably start by finding a way to automate that process. Manual input is always error prone, especially if you're dealing with a lot of data.

As for the MOS, it really depends if it will be helpful to you in the future. If your employer will pay for it then go for it.

Thanks for your reply!

I'd love to find a way to automate the process because it is very time consuming but I am extracting the data from PayPal. Is it even possible to link Excel with PayPal so that I can automate the process?

I basically want to become advanced in Excel and a good way to measure this is by earning the certificates. That's the main reason behind wanting to earn them.

I don't know if there's a PayPal API, but it's worth checking out. At the very least see if they have some download functionality like you would with a bank's website.

I've had a look and there is a feature that allows me to download the data I need into a spreadsheet.

My goal is to now find a way to automate the process.

I'd practice until you get the data the way that you want it, then see what recording a macro gives you.

Do you know if the macro would have to be on the downloaded sheet or the sheet where I store my data?

It could become a problem if it is because the file would be getting downloaded daily, so therefore changing constantly.

That really depends on what works best for you.

If you need it to be available anytime (for any open workbook), then you could keep it in your Personal.xlsb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFromAustin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back