Help with maintaining ratios when scaling numbers

DanielleS

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying to assist a dietitian in creating a formula for families that scales a mixture proportionately so that a 24-hr batch of this specialty infant formula maintains the correct ratio of infant formula to additives. The slightly tricky part is that it's not a direct multiplication, so it's not just multiplying each number by, for example, 8 feedings per day. The infant formula comes in a few specific bottle sizes and they want the family to simply pour in the entire larger bottle into the mixing pitcher and then this will calculate out how much of each supplement they need to add, maintaining the original ratio.

The picture below is my illustration. We will know the sample values shown in the image of 224 mls (main infant formula), 66 mls (supplement 1), and 56 mls (supplement 2), which we know gives us a 64.7: 19.1: 16.2 ratio. We will also know that the main formula comes in a 1,892 ml bottle so that's our starting point. The calculation I need is for the two yellow cells. Thanks for your help!

Formula mixing excel sample calc.jpg

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
I think I was just way overthinking this one. I just need to multiply those two additive values by the ratio of 224:1892 so I used the very basic formula A2/A1*B1 (with the column starting with 224 being column A). Never mind and thanks for reading!

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back