help with form using 2 tables

TheNoocH

I have 2 tables...
the first table is downloaded from our system and it has the following key fields...order number & sequence number...
the second table is used to manually enter scheduling info in Access...abbreviated list of fields in table are order number & sequence number (key fields linked to downloaded file) along with schedule date, schedule status, etc...

what i want to do is create a form to enter data into the second table if for example schedule date is blank...the issue i'm coming across is that if i link the two tables (eg right after i download the file from the system) there are no records to link in the second table...

any help or direction would be extremely appreciated...

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hi, I'm not sure I understand the problem 100%.

Are there just the 2 tables or three? It sounds like there is a 3rd download table, or is this the 2nd table? How do you get the data into table 2? Is it all manually entered or partially populated by the download?

I'm not sure what you mean by this :

the issue i'm coming across is that if i link the two tables (eg right after i download the file from the system) there are no records to link in the second table...

Where are you trying to link the 2 tables? In a query or the relationships screen or somewhere else? And when you say there are no records to link, are you saying there is no data in the table? If that is the case, how are you trying to get the download data into that table? If there is data in table 2, have you checked the fields that you are trying to link have the same formats?

Sorry I can't help with your problem but I think we need some additional info.

Andrew :)

Upvote 0
When you download the new table, is it a completely new set of orders? If so, you should probably append the new data to the original table so you don't lose the links to the data in Table 2.
Try the following:
1. Import to a new table (Table 3)
2. Build an APPEND query that adds the data in this table to the existing data in Table 1.
Note: this can be modified if you think you'll be downloading duplicates.
Also, make sure that the imported table doesn't contain any Autonumber primary keys -- they can be created when the records are appended to TABLE 1.

Denis

Upvote 0
Denis/Andrew,
Let me try and help make things more clear...
First off there are only 2 tables...

Table 1 is the table i download which has information poplulated...there is no data that will be input into Table 1...essentially it's just information needed to help aid in entering into Table 2 below...
Table 2 is for manual entry (essentially just like a supplemental file to Table 1 for fields that aren't in the file downloaded)....this file is to keep track of information only in access...

Note: no data is going back to the originating system...essentially this database is to keep track of scheduling info via MS Access...

The issue is that at the time i download table 1 there aren't any records in table 2...i need to poplulate table 2 to each record in table 1 (note: both tables contain the key ORDER# & SEQ#)...I'm just not sure how to set up a form to make this happen...

Hopefully that clears things up...and thanks in advance for your help

Upvote 0
I found out my issue was b/c i didn't have the fields in each table set up as keys...once i set them correctly it works fine...thanks any way

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back