Help with access forms.

Riaang

Board Regular
Hallo there,

I wander if someone can help me with the following. In my main form if you enter a specific word or prase in a spicific field then another form appears with more fields that you must enter before you can continue on the main form.

My problem is how can I automatically close the form if all data is entered and also stops the users from continueing on the main form unless the sub form is completed.

Please help.

Thanks

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
When you say that another form appears is this a subform made visible or a separate form opened that has to be filled in?

Peter

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

Currently I have it as a seperate form that you need to complete adding more detail on the topic choosen.

Upvote 0
If you set the forms properties to PopUp and Modal then they will have to close the form before the can do anything else in the database.

If you add OK and Cancel buttons to close the form and turn the Control box off then you will be able to check that they have filled in all of the necessary fields before closing the form.

HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter, the only problem is that the subform creates a new record and does not add the information to the record showing on the main form. Do you have any idea how to change this.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Riaan, a couple of questions.

1. Why does the extra data have to be on a separate form?

2. Is the additional data stored in the same table as the data on the main form?

3. Will every subject have additional information added, or just some?

If the answer to (2) is yes, you could consider using a Tab control to lay out your form. That way, the fields that you always fill in are on top by default -- or you can set it that way. The additioal data can be input by clicking on a tab. You will still be in the same record.

If this i snot what you are after, please provide soem more detailed information on what you are trying to do.

Upvote 0
Hi

Thank you for your help, it will definitely help me.

Please would you give more information about the tab control and how you would go about setting this up in detail.

Regards
Riaan

Upvote 0
The Tab control is one of the items on the toolbar when you are design view. Don't have a picture of it, but move your mouse over the items towards the bottom of the toolbar and you'll find it. Here's what you do:

1. Remove the fields that will be covered by the Tab control -- Access is fussy about this, it's easier to jusr replace them (unless you have built some with carefully crafted properties).
2. Drag the Tab control onto the form. You can re-size it with the drag handles. You'll have the usefully named Tab1 and Tab2. Right-click on the tabs to rename them or add extra tabs.
3. Making sure that Tab1 is on top, drag fields from the field list onto the tab control. These are the fields that you want filled out every time. You can format and position them as required.
4. Now click Tab2. You'll see another blank area onto which you can drag more fields.
5. Keep going as required. If you plan it you can group related fields under the different tabs, to simplify navigation.

When you run the form, Tab1 will be at the top. Click the other tab(s) to see more data entry fields.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fahad_ibnfurjan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back