Help with a VBA to process file save and PDF creation with existing file handling

Morphies

Good evening all. I hope you're all well!

I'm looking for some assistance with a vba macro I've been working on. I'm no expert with this (as will become apparent!)

Essentially what I'm trying to do is save a file and publish it to a certain folder in pdf format based on cell values. I've managed to get the macro to save the file and publish the pdf, then added an error handler to waarn for existing file names.

I now want to further develop the macro to allow overwrites of existing files by way of an ignore response to a message box. I also want the macro to check for the existance of a folder and create it if it doesn't exist.

This is the initial code i had:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]Sub SAVEREPORTANDPDF()[/COLOR]
Dim FileName As String
Dim Path As String

Path = "R:\"
FileName = Range("AU10").Value & ".xlsm" ' sets the filename to the value of cell AU10 and adds the extension

If Dir(Path & FileName) <> "" Then 'checks for existance of file you are about to create
MsgBox "File already exists. Please use correct revision number or investigate duplicate file." 'warns user file already exists

Else

'start to save the excel file
Path = "R:\" '
FileName = Range("AU10").Value & ".xlsm" 'sets the filename as the value of cell AU10 and sets the extension
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Path & FileName, xlOpenXMLWorkbookMacroEnabled 'selects the file format

'now create the pdf. the Filename range selects the cell contents as the filename, note this is an absolute path and extension in this case.
ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, FileName:=Range("AU15").Value, Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=False, OpenAfterPublish:=True

End If
End Sub

I've now 'developed' this into this:
Rich (BB code):
Sub SAVEREPORTANDPDF()

Dim FileName As String
Dim Path As String
Dim Cust As String
Dim pdfpath As String
Dim iret As Integer

Path = "R:\"
FileName = Range("AU10").Value & ".xlsm" ' sets the filename to the value of cell AU10 and adds the extension
Cust = Range("B11").Value
pdfpath = "X:\"
If Dir(Path & FileName) <> "" Then 'checks for existance of file you are about to create
iret = MsgBox("This file already exists. Please use correct revision number or check for duplicates. Click Ignore to overwrite the existing file.", vbAbortRetryIgnore) 'warns user file already exists
    ElseIf iret <> "5" Then 'processes user input
    Exit Sub
        ElseIf Len(Dir(pdfpath & Cust, vbDirectory)) = 0 Then 'create directory for new customers
        MkDir (pdfpath & Cust)
Else

'start to save the excel file
Path = "R:\" '
FileName = Range("AU10").Value & ".xlsm" 'sets the filename as the value of cell AU10 and sets the extension
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Path & FileName, xlOpenXMLWorkbookMacroEnabled 'selects the file format

'now create the pdf. the Filename range selects the cell contents as the filename, note this is an absolute path and extension in this case.
ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, FileName:=Range("AU15").Value, Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=False, OpenAfterPublish:=True

End If

End Sub

But, I'm now lost in my own mess.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
This is an extremely fast moving forum, surprisingly I couldn't find any rules on bumping threads? Ordinarily 30 minutes would be far to quick but it's already half way down page 2!

:)

Upvote 0
incase this happens to help anyone out I managed to get it working by moving part of the code into another routine. I'm sure its very messy but it appears to work

Code:
Sub SAVEREPORTANDPDF()

Dim filename As String
Dim path As String
Dim Cust As String
Dim pdfpath As String
Dim Iret As Integer

path = "R:\"
filename = Range("AU10").Value & ".xlsm" ' sets the filename to the value of cell AU10 and adds the extension
Cust = Range("B11").Value
pdfpath = "X:\"

If Len(Dir(pdfpath & Cust, vbDirectory)) = 0 Then 'create directory for new customers
MkDir (pdfpath & Cust)
End If

If Dir(path & filename) = "" Then 'checks for existance of file you are about to create
Call saveexcelcreatepdf
Exit Sub
Else
Iret = MsgBox("This file already exists. Please use correct revision number or check for duplicates. Click Ignore to overwrite the existing file.", vbAbortRetryIgnore + vbInformation) 'warns user file already exists
If Iret <> "5" Then 'processes user input
Exit Sub
Else
Call saveexcelcreatepdf

End If
End If
End Sub

Sub saveexcelcreatepdf()
Dim path As String
Dim filename As String

path = "R:\"
filename = Range("AU10").Value & ".xlsm" 'sets the filename as the value of cell AU10 and sets the extension
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs path & filename, xlOpenXMLWorkbookMacroEnabled 'selects the file format

ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, filename:=Range("AU15").Value, Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=False, OpenAfterPublish:=True

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back