Help with a data entry form and entering data.

RobertSmith101

Hello friends, I have come into a problem when using Access and I would appreciate your help. I have a Customer Database with the following attributes: CustomerID, (primary key) First Name, Surname, Address etc.
However what I want to know what do is on my Data Entry form when I enter the CustomerID on the Data Entry Form I would like if the CustomerID is already on the database for example 123 is the customerID and its already on the database when it is entered on the database again I want it to automatically enter on the data entry form the other fields such as First Name Sur Name etc. do you know how I would be able to do this?

Thank you very much,
Robert

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Hi RobertSmith101,

There are several ways you can do this, depending on your experience with Access/VBA. I'll start with the easiest way.

Open your form in design view, and delete the textbox for customer ID. Then drag a drop combo over from the control toolbox. Use the wizard that pops up to have the form retrieve a record based on what they've entered in the combobox.

Another method, using a textbox, produces the same results as above, but requires a bit of VBA coding. Right click on the textbox where you put the customerID (I'll call it 'txtcustID', in table 'tblcust' referencing field 'custID'). Select Build Event|Code Builder.

Insert code as follows:
Code:
Private Sub txtcustID_AfterUpdate()

Dim rs As Object

Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone     

If IsNull(txtcustid) Then
        Exit Sub
    End If

rs.FindFirst "[tblcust].[custID] = " & Str(Me![txtcustID])
    Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark

End Sub

Both will go to the first instance of the customerID.

HTH,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nithchun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back