HELP taking every 10 record

johnawebbhsd

I found this on here before and used it, somehow my DB got corrupted and lost the code.

I have a query(A) that I would like to run another query(B) on (append-table) to take a 10% sample from (A). So for example if I have 2000 records in (A) I would like query(B) to take 200 records (random) and append that to a table. As I said I found this on here but have looked all day and can't find it again.

I do think that it took every 10th record is how it got 10% of the table. If anyone knows how to do this or where that topic may be please advice. Thanks :oops:

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Thanks I will try that.. I don't think this is how I accomplished this task before.. Guess I will keep better notes in the future.

It seems like I will have to say to pull a random 200 vs. I think before I was saying to pull every 10th record.... I will start to play with this and see what I can come up with..

Upvote 0
I guess it all depends on how random you need your random sample to be. I would say that every 10th item is not very random ie I as a human can reliably and accurately predict what your table will look like.

Plus, it depends on your table makeup. Taking a random 10% or every 10th record for this case(2000) is equivalent (200 records).

But depending on the total number of records you can different resulting recordsets.
For example,
10% of 22 records - Access rounds up and you get three (3) records.
every 10th of 22 records - 2 records total

Here is another article that shows how to get every Nth record.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;199679&Product=acc2000 - How to Simulate a Dynamic Counter in a Table or a Query to Count Records

HTH,
CT

Upvote 0
Ok... sorry to be dense on this but I can't figure it out... I went to the link you provided.... took the code of
Function test()
?CreateCountTbl("MSG_RET_w_ACC_Final","new table",10,False)
end function

I get an error when try to run Method not valid w/o suitable object. I did select Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library....

I also tried running the long code it did nothing... I am :oops: but still trying.... I wish I kept a copy of the code from before.. won't make that mistake again... It was very short and sweet I thought... ;-(

Upvote 0
change your:
Function test()
?CreateCountTbl("MSG_RET_w_ACC_Final","new table",10,False)
end function

to

Function test()
Call CreateCountTbl("MSG_RET_w_ACC_Final","new table",10,False)
end function

The ? notation is for use in the immediate window
HTH,
CT

Upvote 0
Oh OK. I am still learning a lot. I did this and seems to be working OK. This is differenat than how it was working before. But it works still the same. If I ever find the old code I will post it here. Thanks for all your help and for bearing with me.

I am not sure what happened to my original database, but it seems to have lost a lot of code and joins were all messed up too.

thanks again (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NghiVmexgdhh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back