Help please...

dcruz

Hello to all,

In advance I would like to thank all for taking the time to view and answering my questions.

I would like to learn how a particular process is done in Excel.
I have seen many applications that create a CSV file using Excel. In the Excel spreadsheet cells they enter only the field name from an Access database, not the data. When running a mail merge in word, they reference to the excel csv file as the data source. The excel csv file points to the database and populates the word doc. I can see why it is done this way, but don't know how it is done. Excel can only hold so much data, and it wouldn't be a good idea to store all the data in the Excel spreadsheet.

Please point me in the right direction...

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
In Access you can Export/Import as a CSV file manually or Using Code/macro's (in access).

Merging with word is found on the tools menu under "office Links"

In Excel you can just save the spreadsheet as a text Csv file, and merge from Word (also on tools menu).

You can merge directly from Access or Excel, it sounds like your describing going from Access to Excel (CSV) and then Merge with Word?

If you explain your process more and what you want to accomplish, I/we can provide more details.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back