Help on Aggregation please

ukmikeb

I would be most grateful if someone could help me with the following problem which I would have been able to do in a flash 30 years ago!

I have a table which has six fields (rprize1 through rprize6) which occur on up to 10 records for specific date and I am able to aggregate them successfully with the following query through VBA :-
Code:
StrSQL = "SELECT R.rfj, C.cname, R.rcourseid, SUM(R.rprize1 + R.rprize2 + R.rprize3 + R.rprize4 + R.rprize5 + R.rprize6) As Prizetot,1 " & _
              "FROM race as R, course as C " & _
              "WHERE Year(R.rdate) = 2017 " & _
              "  AND C.cid = R.rcourseid " & _
              "GROUP BY R.rfj, C.cname, R.rcourseid, Cname&rdate "

I would like to aggregate them further (ie summing each Prizetot and each 1) for as many records that occur in the year.

I have tried with :-
Code:
StrSQL = "SELECT TblMeet.rfj, TblMeet.Cname, TblMeet.rcourseid, SUM(TblMeet.Prizetot), SUM(TblMeet.Mtg) " & _
         "FROM (TblMeet " & _
         "     LEFT JOIN " & _
         "(SELECT R.rfj, C.cname, R.rcourseid, SUM(R.rprize1 + R.rprize2 + R.rprize3 + R.rprize4 + R.rprize5 + R.rprize6) As Prizetot, 1 as Mtg " & _
           "FROM race as R, course as C " & _
          "WHERE Year(R.rdate) = 2017 " & _
          "  AND C.cid = R.rcourseid " & _
          "GROUP BY R.rfj, C.cname, R.rcourseid, Cname&rdate) as Mmeet ON TblMeet.rfj = Mmeet.rfj AND TblMeet.Cname = Mmet.Cname AND TblMeet.rcourseid = Mmeet.rcourseid) "
but keep getting Syntax error in JOIN operation.

Where am I going wrong?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Where this is YOURQUERY:
Code:
SELECT 
	R.rfj, 
	C.cname, 
	R.rcourseid, 
	SUM(R.rprize1 + R.rprize2 + R.rprize3 + R.rprize4 + R.rprize5 + R.rprize6) As Prizetot,
FROM 
	race as R, course as C 
WHERE 
	Year(R.rdate) = 2017   
	AND C.cid = R.rcourseid 
GROUP BY 
	R.rfj, 
	C.cname, 
	R.rcourseid, 
	Cname&rdate

You sum it by querying the query:
Code:
SELECT
	TSUB.rfj,
	TSUB.cname,
	TSUB.rcourseid,
	SUM(TSUB.Prizetot) AS SumOfPrizetot,
	SUM(TSUB.Mtg) AS SumOfMtg
FROM
	(
		YOURQUERY
	) AS TSUB
GROUP BY
	TSUB.rfj,
	TSUB.cname,
	TSUB.rcourseid

One difference is that you will have to give a column name to the part you give the value of 1:
SUM(R.rprize1 + R.rprize2 + R.rprize3 + R.rprize4 + R.rprize5 + R.rprize6) As Prizetot,
1 AS MTG

This is awkward and unnecessary in the group by clause (possibly confusing in the results if you had more than one year involved):
Cname&rdate

I recommend you test and develop your queries without coding them as strings in VBA. That can be the last step once you know they work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks xenou that is just what I needed.

As for your concerns, cname&rdate, I used that to isolate the number of meetings during a single year period.

Upvote 0
Hi,
Doesn't your WHERE clause already isolate the results to a single year period (2017)?

Upvote 0
Hi

Maybe the wording of my response was ill-chosen.

The background is :-
I have up to 10 events in any one day at one course.
I need to aggregate the values of rprize1 through rprize6 for those 10 events as if they are a single event, ie Mtg
Each course could have up to 25 Mtgs in the year.

Hence the combination of cname &rdate to enable me to count those 'daily' events.

Please let me know if you think there is an alternative, possibly more efficient way of achieving my objective.

Upvote 0
Up to you - if you get the right results then go for it. Generally, if a field is in the grouping clause and not the select clause, then you get additional levels of grouping that create at least some duplicates vis-a-vis the visible results. But as long as you know why that's happening and what it means then you are good.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PedroMoss2268

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back